Home Chat General Chat

RPM

Just a quick one for you. What kind of RPM should I be looking at for on a cycle, just tried to go for an hour at 90 and its damn near killed me! I normally average 85 RPM and although a little slow, can go like the Duracell bunny.

Cheers

Comments

• rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    Keep at it and work up to it gradually. See what it feels like to do, maybe, 90-100 on a downhill, and try doing some work on a turbo trainer, as well, to get used to higher rpm's, if you can. For me, paying attention to cadence has given me a big boost in my training, although I'm not a total slave to it (okay, well, almost total, but not totally total). Maybe you'll find you can get used to higher cadence and it helps your training, too. Maybe you'll find that 85 is your ideal zone and you work best there.
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    When you increased your cadence did you also go at a higher speed?

The point with keeping a higher cadence is that you pedal faster but go at the same speed. When you first try and up your cadence it is very easy to fall into the trap of working harder and going faster to keep your cadence in your target zone rather than changing gear and spinning. It can be very helpful once you get used to it though.

Mike