Home Gear Triathlon Gear

Tom Tom Cardio Multisport vs Suunto Ambit2 S

As its approaching the season of Yule, I'm looking at getting a multisport GPS watch. Have read lots of reviews of both the Tom Tom Cardio MultiSport and the Suunto Ambit 2S and can't make my mind up. Its not helping that both are the same price on a popular triathlon / cycle store that rhymes with Giggle!

Anyone have any thoughts? The Tom Tom is this years model, whereas the Suunto is last years...

Comments

• I wouldn't go for either of those two to be honest. The Garmin 910XT will always be the better watch. Now that there is a new model out you might be able to get a good deal on it.

• I've just bought the 910XT for under £300. I'm very impressed with it.

• I can't afford the 910XT, even with the 920XT coming out and the old stock reduced.

• For what its worth, I bought the Suunto Ambit 2S at the start of the year and have been very pleased with it.  It records well in the pool ( lengths, time per length, time per 100m, etc)  and if fairly easy to use there.  The GPS picks up very quickly for the bike and run, though I would suggest you "Force firmware update" every couple of weeks in order to pull down the latest GPS satellite locations.  This keeps the GPS nice and accurate.

There is no on board heart monitor, but I didn't see a problem with that.

The Movescount website that comes with it is packed full of stats and data ( which I love ) and can hook up to Strava too 

• On my second multisport, battery failed on first and now cracked 'gorilla glass' facia. Fundamental design flaw I think with the unit clicking into the strap. This leaves the unit very susceptible to damage when swapping in and out from bike mount and charging. Sure it works well and has all the metrics you need but is it really value for money when it's so fragile?

• Hi Peter. Were the issues with the new one with the optical HR sensor? I'd heard that because the unit is surrounded by rubber (to help keep it dark for the HR sensor) it was more secure than the original model?

• Hi Peter, 

How do you handle your issue with that watch ? 

From 5 months I get one and I get no issue with... pretty wierd !

I found a review (in french) if you want : http://coureurduchablais.com/2015/02/test-la-tomtom-runner-cardio/

From the HR point of view, Tomtom cardio is better, even it works not very well for swimming.

From Triathlon point of view, Suunto Ambit 2S is better, as you can get datas during transitions.