Home Gear Triathlon Gear

deep carbon rims?

As a new comer to triathlon do you think I would benefit from a pair of deep carbon rims.

At the moment to have shimano RS31's as my training wheels (2000g+) and a pair of vision trimax pro's as my race wheels (1500g), both 30mm deep, is there a big advantage in getting some deep carbon rims? most I have looked at are heavier than my trimax pro's.

I have been looking at the planet x 60mm deep carbon clinchers as they seem quite a good price.

Comments

• Don't waste your money. 
    There is a vast difference between cheap and good value. 

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425

Ian

Bike spending priorities for a newbie triathlete should be bike fit and aero helmet. Each should give around about the same improvement in bike speed as deep section wheels for less cost.

PlanetX wheels are popular & not just for the low price. There is a current thread on the wheels elsewhere on the forum. I'm for them

• As a newbie you could end up losing time on deep rims opposed to gaining - as above get a proper bike fit and aero helmet - when you get your speed up then think about the next level - also course & weather depends on what wheels you ride on...

• It also depends on the course. I compete in triathlons in the Lakes and Pennines which means wind, rain, hills and pot holed roads. Deep section rims would add weight that slows you down on the hills and you can catch cross winds with deep rims. They do look cool though!!!!

• I love threads about carbon wheels

My advice - buy yourself the best set of 60mm rims you can afford. The Planet X ones are brilliant for the money. Will you notice a difference if you spend £2k on Zipp firecrests? Yes, I'll be honest.

But the difference between going onto Planet X's will be from like a 3 to a 9 out of 10 performance wise, and the Zipps will get you to 10/10.

Just my two penneth, as a guy with 10 years of experience riding pretty much all the wheels out there. My planet X 50 tubs were a very good set of wheels at an excellent price point and if I had the choice again I'd not sell them to 'upgrade'

• Thanks for all your input, does any body know much about V-sprint carbon wheels

http://v-sprint.com/product/road-wheels/carbon-road-wheels-aero-pro-sport/

These look quite good for the money, I know they are not going to be as good as 2k+ wheels but for me as a beginner I just could not justify to myself (never mind my wife) spending that much on a set of wheels.

• Haven't herd of V-sprint, but i can tell you the P-X wheels are 'flared' carbon. not carbon built into the structure. this has advantages and disadvantages...

Pro's,

you get a alloy wheel, with carbon added. light and still aero profile

If the carbon cracks, it wont matter because the strength of the wheel comes from the alloy rim, not the carbon structure

Cheaper as its not a carbon built wheel, then they add alloy brake surface for more reliable braking (even in cold weather carbon braking is very different)

Cons,

your not actually buying a carbon wheel, you wont get that 'sound'

the wheel is a alloy, so it depends a lot on the manufacture of the wheels if its worth it (Mavic do a 'carbon' wheel like this and popular, but still £900+)

As for the V wheels, definitely go for a radial spoke pattern, the wheels aren't flared ( spoke nipples are on the carbon, not inside the carbon)

I say go for it! but do look into a bike fit, i spent £750 on some zipp 60's. Sprinted my commuter route, smashed every segment, did the same route, same time following week on training 35mm alloy wheels and i smashed my times from the week before! So debatable weather 750 got me any faster....