Home Training for a Triathlon

Turbo trainer

Hi All, a great member of my local tri club has sold me a turbo trainer, any advice on what Apps i can use for training or a training plan, i don't have a cadence speed sensor on my bike yet !!

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002

you could look at some training videos like sufferfest or coach troy. i really like the sufferfest ones - good sense of humour and makes you work pretty hard. cadence sensor is useful, but probably not essential (there are usually 3 cadence levels that sessions go at - low grind, 'normal' and high spin out - you can probably work those out without a sensor for now!)

• Lisa GLisa G Posts: 29

Hi Ris, I have just got the cadence sensor fitted this weekend on my bike, am I right in thinking that I need to be aiming for a high rpm in the highest gear that I can cope with for a set period?  My tomtom watch has a training zone which I can set, but not entirely sure what I should be setting it at.    Any tips from anyone out there would be welcome on what I should be aiming for.  Thanks.

• risris Posts: 1,002
    I'll be honest - I'm no cadence expert! There are schools of thought that suggest optimum rpms of 90-100 but I think cadence is quite personal and one persons hideous grinding gear is another's delight. I doubt you'd find many that live riding a huge gear at 50rpm (knee/hip strainer) or bouncing around the saddle at 130, though.

Varying cadence on a turbo is helpful - a big gear can build strength through resistance. Lighter fears at higher cadence can be good at working the aerobic system more, or loosening the legs after a short period of higher load. When I'm riding on the road I tend to ride what feels natural and pay little attention to cadence (mine averages about 90rpm), very occasionally switching gear if the cadence number makes me think about it.

On the turbo it gives you something to work the gear choice against to add load.
  • Trainer road! http://www.trainerroad.com

For $9.99 a month, you get a whole bunch of training plans to follow. The software uses a speed/cadence sensor (garmin) to estimate virtual power so you can track your progress very easily. It also syncs with garmin devices as well so you can record your sessions on garmin connect along with any swimming/running etc. It's very motivating to see your progress plotted over time and I wouldn't be without it.