Home Training for a Triathlon

Struggling with Cycling

Hi Everyone, 

So I am training for my triathlon in May, which I know isn't that far away but am really struggling with the bike training. I am a complete newbie to biking as have always been a runner. My bike seems to be fine and is on the smaller cog when i change gears ( hope this makes sense) and I am struggling to do six/seven miles which, reading these comments and threads is no way near what i need to be doing! Where I live is exteremly hilly but, even so i dont think i should be struggling this much! (I can run about 5 miles with ease, and swim quite well). Any ideas would really be helpful! 

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425

May, couple of suggestions:

Firstly check that the bike is set up correctly for you. If in doubt get a bike fit

Secondly ride steadily until you can put some miles in. You don't say how much effort you are putting in but there is no need to go hard/flat out until you have built a cycling endurance base. It takes a while for your legs to learn how to cycle effectively especially if you are a long time runner

HarryD

• Side stepping the set-up issues above (very important though - best double check seat position etc. ) and moving on to the actual riding, you say you're more of a running and not really done much riding, well there is one trick which helped me no end on when I ride across the country.  

Think of riding a bike like driving your car. Make sure you use the correct gear for that moment.  You wouldn't rev the nuts off your car on a motorway in second and likewise you wouldn't knock the bottom end of the engine out trying to do mountain roads in 6th.  This may seem like a massive over simplification but you legs are like an engine (think of the pistons in a car engine) and they work best within a certain 'rev' range or cadence. Simply change gear to keep yourself in that range and keep the effort at a comfortable level. Legs going round too fast on the flat? snick another gear and you'll cover more ground more efficiently. Legs slowing down and the load increasing? drop a cog and don't flood your legs with lactic. It may feel like your uphills are tediously slow but you'll be thankfull during the run or just later on in the ride when you see others who pounded up the hills on a tiny cog struggling at the next hill. 

If you want to think of yourself as a motorbike instead the same applies. If you want to make the noises and get your knee down in the corners.......  I'm not going to judge you

Hope that helps