Home Chat General Chat

socks or no socks?

Do you guy's and Gal's wear socks when you bike and run or do you go sockless, I am going to do my first triathlon in May and I see lots of people going sockless but I think I will be more comfortable if  take a minute to dry my feet and put some socks on and if I am more comfortable then I believe I will be quicker on the bike and run leg of the race.

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002

i wear socks - ever since i ripped my feet up in some wet trainers at my first oly. i'll lose 30s, but as i'm not likely to be bothering the top end of the field i don't really care!

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425

No sock for standard & shorter for me. Helvellyn & duathlons yes.

Try training without socks. May get some soreness but liberal use of Vaseline on any tight spots will ease then remove any issues. Most bike & run shoes have a comfortable lining now anyway and seek them out when you replace.

Apart from throwing away time in transition any reduction in the overall weight located at the end of your legs will make you bike & run that little bit quicker.

• Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190

I wear socks... If you have a pair of light modern running shoes you are unlikely to see any benefit from weight reduction - running efficiency is only impacted when your shoes weigh over 440g (the article detailing this should be up on 220 somewhere) so unless you are packing lead socks it wont make a difference. If you get a pair of short ankle socks you can get them on in circa 15 seconds and the moisture isn't too much of an issue and similarly I find the reduction it hotspots makes me faster, especially on the run.

• No socks for me either unless it's an off-road run. While I'm no where near the top, I still want to do my best and losing half to a minute off my run time is hard to get back. I wear neoprene toe covers on my cycling shoes to keep my feet warm (they don't impact on getting into the shoe or out) and then straight out into my trainers. As HarryD suggested, try some practice runs without, it's really not so bad once you get used to it.

• I go sock less on the bike, with a liberal application of talc in the shoes before hand.

I then have my sock rolled down past the ankle and sitting in my shoe, again coated in talc on the inside, ready to be rolled, not pulled, onto my feet at T2. Best of both worlds.