Home Gear Triathlon Gear

Help please!!!! aero or sportive bike

History about me to help with bike choice: I am 43 years old, ex army (infantry) , ran marathons and in pretty good shape. I busted my back and medical release from the army. Hit with depression stated eating was up to 310 lbs. I am 225 lbs and still descending. Last summer did 4 sprints and few cross races and my personal best sprint is about 1 h 25 min. I have a cross bike with road tires that i use now for triathlon and cross races. This year I am moving to Olympic distance with a half IM at the end. I may not be the fastest but am very competitive (personal best or beating the guy or girl who just beat in the last race) 

I do not want a TT bike but was thinking road bike with bars. With my medical history would i be better with a defy with bars or propel with bars. would there be a big time difference in half IM.

Thanks for advice

Comments

• I have just upgraded from a Defy 1 to a Propel adv 2.  Although the defy is more upright and less aggressive I found the propel more comfortable.  If you go for a carbon defy you will probably get the best of both worlds,  the more upright position might help your back and the carbon should absorb a lot of the bumps that my aluminium defy didn't.  

My advice would be to arrange to test ride both of them and see for yourself

• Stehane,

You need to ride both and see how your body responds.  Aerodynamically, a tri-specific bike with aero bars will be noticeably faster.  The longer the distance, the more impact it will have.  BUT...if your body won't stand for the aero position, the impact could be much worse by using a tri-specific bike and aero bars.

If you can ride comfortably on the Propel ADV2...go for it!!!!

• Look at getting a Cube Aerium Pro, I have one (which I am selling) and found it great for racing and road riding especially on hills as the seat tube angle is between a road bike and Triathlon bike which gives you perfect scope for different disciplines.

It is the perfect in between if your not looking for an all out TT bike yet can accomadate plenty of speed!
  • I would definitely suggest trying out a road bike with some clip on aero bars to start with. 

I have recently transferred over to a TT bike and still in the early stages of getting used to it, but what I have found is that a comfortable pair of bars (preferably ones that bend up at the grips) put you into a very economical position which will allow you to increase speed with the minimum of effort which you can sustain for long flat stretches. 

There are some really cheap options on ebay and despite the price, they do work and help with getting used to the posture of being in a more aerodynamic position. give it a go.