Home Chat General Chat

Anyone recommend comfortable cycling shorts?

Hi Trek

Are you male or female as this could make a big difference to what saddle you need.

Any Specialized dealer would be able to measure you for the right width.

As for shorts, if you are looking at cycle specific then Assos are great if quite expencive.

Comments

• TREKTREK Posts: 3
    [:@] I am in agony! I have tried changing the seat to a wider gel seat but still seem to get really uncomfortable.
  • TREKTREK Posts: 3
    Thanks Ironman, Im a bloke btw.
  • rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    You might also want to look for bib shorts, since they tend to move around less (the bib holds them up while you are tucking down or sitting up) and chafe less, especially if you are on a longer ride (more than an hour or two).
  • hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Agree totally with rpopper65. I have recently bought a pair of bib shorts and was amazed at tthe difference, a lot more comfort and the waistline doesnt dig in.

I still get a couple of tender bits of skin (just behind the crown jewelss) and cant figure out how to cure it. Ive tried cream. My seat is a body geom, with the groove cut out of centre. Any hints or people getting similar problems?
  • rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    No matter what I try (different shorts, different seats, etc), I still get sore and/or numb parts on the longer rides (near or over the 2 hour mark). The only thing that works for me is (a) try to change positions every now and then, (b) don't over-do it, and (c) get used to it. I'm not sure the human body was designed to sit on a teensy little aerodynamic seat like a bike seat for extended periods of time and it certainly will require some conditioning (physical and psychological) to get used to it.
  • KarlOnSeaKarlOnSea Posts: 28
    Hound Dog -

I had a similar problem (AND the parts that we don't talk about on a family-friendly forum going numb), even with a BG saddle with a cutout. I found that tilting the saddle slightly forward helps big time. For the first few rides you'll feel like your sliding forward, but that sensation wears off pretty soon as you get accustomed to the angle.

KarlOnSea.
  • KarlOnSeaKarlOnSea Posts: 28
    Rpopper -

DON'T just try to get used to bits of you going numb - this can lead to permanent damage. The last thing you want is to be hoping to get more sp^m from people trying to sell you . . . uh . . . weekend pharmaceuticals!

Get a new saddle / different setup for your existing one / different handlebar height / whatever. Just don't put up with it or you'll end up not being able to [I'm sure you can fill in the blanks here]

KarlOnSea.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I had bad problems with sciatica 7 other pains, but they were alleviated when I started to use Gore women's shorts - and I'd thoroughly reccommend them.

Also I'm experimenting with saddles, and ditced the Selle Italia slr tri in favbour of the thoork where the sides "fall away faster" this is also an improvement