Home Gear Triathlon Gear

Newbie - kit

Hi Folks,

I'm in training for my first triathlon albeit the fun one at Southam this year. I'm looking to do it on a budget in case it's my one and only triathlon. 

My question which hope you guys can help out with is...do I need a tri suit or can I get away with swimming in my Lycra cycling shorts and then at transition put on a cycling top?  My main area of concern is the padding and whether when that gets soaked it creates any problems?

Any advice is appreciated. 

Comments

• Assuming you are a man, swimming in just shorts should not be a problem. I've done it before. But you might want to consider buying some Tri competition shorts to wear instead of cycling shorts, because they have a smaller pad and so absorb less water. You can buy these for about £30 if you shop aroun and are handy for future rides and training

• Cycling shorts have a bit more padding than tri suits (mine anyway) and so might hold a bit more water and for a bit longer. Having Damp skin in..... lets call it a high friction area might not be the most comfortable thing! 

MY tri suit which I bought new off ebay for £22.99 is very similar to my jammers and doesn't actually let much water through - my cycling shorts on the other hand seem quite happy in letting water through when rain interupts one of my rides!

If this is going to be your only's Tri, you might aswell tough it out. 

• risris Posts: 1,002

it's not so much the swim as the run that i think you would want to avoid in cycling shorts, particularly if they are still a bit wet. running in a soggy nappy... eugh.. 

tri suit / shorts are the way they are for a reason, but you needn't bother if you really don't want to. comfort is more important to you than time then you could swim in a pair of shorts, bung some cycling shorts over the top in t1, then taken them off in t2. you might not be 100% comfortable on the bike but if it is short then it might not be too bad. easy to replicate in training, too. 

• Owen, Rob, Ris...thanks for your advice guys.  Based on the prices you mention I'm tempted to go out and buy some competition shorts or a tri suit. Before I do that though I might sit in a full bath with my cycling shorts on and then do the cycle and run and see what problems arise.

I know this thread is for a kit question but just wonder if you guys had any training tips. I'm swimming twice a week (twice the distance each time), cycling twice a week (full distance on a full susp mountain bike with knobblies) with a run immediately after one of them and occasionally get a second run in per week.

I reckon that should be enough for my first event but wonder what the training regime should be in the week prior to the event?  Not sure if I should stop 5 days before or maybe cut it down to light training for so many days? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Simon. 

• bathtubbathtub Posts: 280

Why don't you just cycle in swim jammers? if your on a budget and you don't already own any you can buy a pair for under £12 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/speedo-endurance-plus-jammer-1/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&kpid=5360295312&sku=5360295312&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360295312uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=Clothing&utm_medium=base&utm_content=slxo3fl94_dc%7cpcrid%7c%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360295312uk

Years ago we all used to cycle in speedos !!! a bit of Vaseline around the nether regions and your good to go.

Happy racing.

• bathtubbathtub Posts: 280

Why don't you just cycle in swim jammers? if your on a budget and you don't already own any you can buy a pair for under £12 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/speedo-endurance-plus-jammer-1/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&kpid=5360295312&sku=5360295312&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360295312uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=Clothing&utm_medium=base&utm_content=slxo3fl94_dc%7cpcrid%7c%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360295312uk

Years ago we all used to cycle in speedos !!! a bit of Vaseline around the nether regions and your good to go.image

Happy racing.

• Thanks Bathtub. 

I imagine smothering myself in vaseline at T1 is likely to raise eyebrows so I'll steer clear of speedos! 

I looked at the Jammers and they are a great price but opted for a cheap pair of tri shorts instead.  May upgrade to a tri suit in the future if I carry on with it.