Home Chat General Chat

Tyre pressures

Quick question: What tyre pressure should you have for a race? Should it be varied if it's dry/wet, hilly/flat, windy/calm, long/short, or if the rider is heavy/light, tall/short etc? I have a pretty standard bike and tyres and normally have them between about 80 and 90 psi (?)

Thanks for any help

Mike

Comments

• hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    I tend to have mine at 110psi to avoid punctures ,tends to repel sharpish objects and small stones, rather than let them sink into rubber. I did try a lower pressure once, but it just didnt feel right.
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    Check on your tyre and see what the maximum pressure they can be used at is. If possible you want to pump them to somewhere near that. I generally run my at about 110psi. The higher the pressure the lower the rolling resistance and the faster you should go.

Mike

• ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    be careful, last time I inflated to 110 I blew the tube and it was the morning of the tri. One piece of advice inflate to about a hundred but not the morning of an event
  • Double check your rim tape if your going to start inflating to high pressures. The tape that came with the wheels on my bike started to distort allowing the inner tube to bulge into the spoke holes.

It came with a plastic tape[:'(] i changed it for a fabric tape and have had no problems and that was 500 miles ago[;)]
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Thanks man
  • steveslaysteveslay Posts: 54
    i asked one of the coaches at my tri club and he said he inflates his to 110-115 for races though if its wet then about 105 and also slightly lower if its a really hot day as the pressure will build up anyway
  • thanks guys. I'd have always been too nervous to pump them up to 110 before (for the same reasons as ardkeen). Will also avoid high pressures if it's v.hot or wet.