Home Chat General Chat

Talkback: Can you wear contact lenses for swimming?

This is exactly my problem....but I always risk it and wear contact lens and plain goggles for a triathlon. If I lost my prescription goggles in the open water swim (and I have some really good ones which I always wear in the pool) I wouldn't even be able to see to get back to transition! And I'm scared og my prescription sunglasses being knocked off or broken if I fall on the bike.....

Comments

• gasmangasman Posts: 2

I always take my lenses out for training and use prescription lenses in my goggles.  However for race day I wear my lenses and use plain goggles.  I've never had a problem such as loosing a lens.  Then straight into T1 and sunglasses.  Having said that I always have a spare pair of lenses in T1 bag.

• LoukidorLoukidor Posts: 2
    Never ever wondered about this and have used lenses extensively for watersports (windsurfing, surfing and swimming both in the pool and open water) for years without a problem. If it's rough I just go for disposables!
  • No problems here either- use daily disposables. I don't like prescription goggles they make me feel sick.

• Daily disposables are the way to go.... no risk of infection if you 'dispose' of them once you take them out after the event!

• kopaholickopaholic Posts: 1
    As someone who's fairly new to this can I ask what might be a really dumb question. I wear contacts and have goggles over the top. Unless I'm mistaken, don't the goggles stop the water getting in your eyes thus avoiding any infection potential ?
  • LoukidorLoukidor Posts: 2

Goggles do leak sometimes or... get knocked off. Hence dailies being ideal if it might get rough or if doing other water sports (like surfing).

• I have always used daily disposables for training and races with no problems so far. Has anyone tried to put in lenses in transition? Seriously?

• OhneillOhneill Posts: 15

Aquasphere Eagle goggles with prescription lenses for training, always wear contacts for racing. I have also kitesurfed for several years and have never lost a contact yet and that includes big slams et al. Never had any problems with infections, but have always worn daily disposables

• Put goggles under swim hat to prevent goggles being knocked off too.

• There are more and more prescription goggle options popping up, and its what I always use.  I know the odds are slim, but the thought of someone kicking my goggles off while wearing contacts would just be such a showstopper. 

• I have been using Geo Color Contact Lens from past few year during my swimming practice session and it is easy to use and put. You can simply put swimming google to protect your lenses. 

• I always take my lenses out for training and use prescription lenses in my goggles.  However for race day I wear my lenses and use plain goggles.  I've never had a problem such as loosing a lens.  Then straight into T1 and sunglasses.  Having said that I always have a spare pair of lenses in T1 bag.