Home Gear Triathlon Gear

HELP: New Wheels or Aerobars?

Hello all,

First time poster here so I hope I don't fall foul of any forum etiquette here. I recently completed my second Sprint Tri and have 3 more lined up this summer.

I'm a beginner who's really keen on improving. My biggest weakness is on the bike. I have a Specialized Allez Sport which is great for me as a newbie to the sport.

But I wanna be faster in the saddle and I've been advised to get new wheels that are lighter and spin for longer - at around £450 budget - or even a cheaper alternative, aerobars, to combat the wind. It was a cycle shop chap who recommended the wheels and a semi-pro triathlete who suggested the tri-bars ..

But what do you all think? Would aerobars look silly on my middle of the road bike? ... And what would help more, being super aero, or quicker wheels?

All advice appreciated 

#SwimBikeRun

Comments

• If you want to be faster on the saddle the first thing is to train for it. Investing in aero bars or wheels are the icing on the cake!

Don't just get out on your bike and expect to get faster. Like running and swimming  training needs structure and goals. Yes have one long ride a week but you need to include technique sessions and speed sessions. Entering local club time trials is great practice for riding fast. Spinning sessions can be useful too. The longest part of any tri is on the bike but generally triathletes aren't great at training properly.

Good luck.

• WimpiefuryWimpiefury Posts: 1

If you want to buy  one of those 2 things. I would go for the aero bars to start with. The position wil make you more aero but also  gives you more strenght coming from your back so you ll go a bit faster. Clip ones are also a cheaper upgrade than aeo wheels.

• Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190

If you have £450 you can get a decent set of wheels at £300 (you can normal find a deal on Fulcrum Racing 3s or equivalent for that price) and clip on bars for £100. Clip on's should definitely make more difference and if you look at the faster for £500 article today that can give you some other ideas.

• I have a spesh Allez that I've been riding and upgrading for a few years now and I too had a similar quandary. Thankfully not having £400 to hand helped me make my decision and I got some Token bolt on aero bars for about £35. The difference they make! If you're not drafting anyone the difference between "on the bars" and "on the hoods!" is incredible. I've also removed all headset spacers and the "cone stack" from under the stem to drop the handlebars further as the head tube on an Allez is quite tall (esp the XXL that I've got).

New wheels will make some difference when climbing and accelerating but there's a lot to be said for the flywheel effect of cheap wheels when the going is flat and steady. Because... physics.

In short - you'll notice the difference in aero bars and a few layout tweaks instantly. The wheels won't be quite so dramatic. But like your first responder said - all of this is secondary to training (which answers a question other than the one you were asking - but is valid anyway). 

• Luke

Rather than spend money on kit have you thought of a proper bike fit? Not the sort that simply checks your reach and pedal length but an in-depth fit such as Body Geometry or Retul. They cost about £150-£200 but I've seen staggering improvements to my time thanks to a proper fit - plus you reduce the chance of injury. You want all the energy you are using to send you forwards as fast as you can. In the first instance training will improve your ability to ride fast and efficiently. next you want to make sure that effort isn't wasted by having your bike set up specifically for you.

• As the others have said.. for that budget you can have both. Assuming you've had a bike fit already that is, as that is worth more than the others combined!

Looking around at wheels Fulcrum Racing Quattro are on offer at Wiggle for silly money but i plumped for much less weight Vision T30's from Bike24.de (don't confuse them with the Team30 which are much lower spec) - http://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=50943;page=3;menu=1000,4,123,30;mid=77;pgc=0

The review says the tyres are a pain to fit, I have Schwalbe One and they were a little more fiddly than usual but nothing too untoward!

Lovely lightweight wheel with sealed bearings for £250 delivered! You can then stick some Profile aero bars on and be on with it....

• LukedC8LukedC8 Posts: 4

Thanks for all the advice people - really appreciate it.

Aero bars seem like the best option considering the benefits and price. I did read about buying a new seat post for a more forward lean, and lowering the steam - as afore mentioned.

So if i'm getting aero bars should I get the seatpost and properly fitted with both in the shop? I'm lucky to live really close to TriUk so can probably get fitted up there.

Cheers peeps

• LukedC8LukedC8 Posts: 4

Thanks for all the advice people - really appreciate it.

Aero bars seem like the best option considering the benefits and price. I did read about buying a new seat post for a more forward lean, and lowering the steam - as afore mentioned.

So if i'm getting aero bars should I get the seatpost and properly fitted with both in the shop? I'm lucky to live really close to TriUk so can probably get fitted up there.

Cheers all