Home Chat General Chat

BRITAINS ROADS.ARE YOU FED UP WITH THEM

TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
This a sort of follow up from moday nights Tonight program with trevor macdonald about britians road surfaces.Have your say right here

Roads around my area are disintagrating,I wouldn,t call thems roads ide call the farm tracks.I cant even put my carbon wheels on my TT bike becouse im afraid of hiting a pot hole the road.Whats the roads like round yours.Post your comment right here

Comments

• 3speed3speed Posts: 16
    Absolutely appalling (like my spelling). Just bought a new pair of mavik elites and I cringe every time I hit a hole or one of those deep cracks that seem to lie at 90 degrees to the road. I'm just outside llantrisant in south wales.
  • hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Around Inverness are the same. If its not potholes its manholes (cant remember the pc name for them) or drains that have sunk or one side has raised. Also, when the council do decide to eventually patch a hole it ends up more like a sleeping policeman![:@]

Complaining about it doesnt help. Its a standard letter passing the buck or the yearly budget GRrrrrr......
  • JulieMacJulieMac Posts: 30
    Its inescapable no matter what part of Britten you live in! Although I was driving from Dorchester to Yeovil (South England) and couldn't help but notice a good piece of road not sure what its number was but it was smooth tarmac as far as the eye could see and a long long hill I was salivating at the thought of getting my bike on to it. Don't you find though you get a nice bit of road and the motorists spoil it!

The govenrment are trying to revise the highway code so that where ever possible cyclist must use cycle facilities!! This is an even bigger joke than the conditions of the roads. If you haven't seen it already take a look here http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/roads4bikes/#detail Maybe we should all move to France where the roads are long straight and smooth! On second thoughts I get a thrill hitting a manhole cover on the apex of a big down hill corner [:D]
    Good point Julie, Id never risk my bike on the cycle paths up here....well, maybe my mountain bike lol. I added my name to the petition. With any luck your link will highlight it and get a lot more to sign it.
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    Parts of the Yeovil Dorchester road are very nice, parts of it are horrible. There are quie a lot of reasonable roads around but you do need to take the time to find them. There is also a balancing act you have to do - the best road surfaces tend to be on the major roads where there is much more traffic, the quiet back roads where you want to cycle have the worst surface. You just need to keep looking around your area and find the best balance between road surface and traffic.

A lot of the roads around Britain do seem very bad but to be honest I don't know how they compare with the rest of Europe. I don't know whether they are actually that bad in comparision.

Mike

Hmm some of you may have read this already but once again an interesting insight into things to come for cyclists I fear! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=GOVBACBK0N3CBQFIQMFCFFWAVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2007/05/19/ncycle19.xml
  • david01david01 Posts: 17
    i would just like to say thta i live in portsmouth and the roads are great. This wasnt the case a year ago but since then the counicl started to resurface them and now they are a lot better and love riding around the city. If every counicl does the same then it sould get a lot better i dont see why they cannt if can do it well why cant the rest hope it gets better for you all

Dave

sorry about bad spelling

It would down to the end of the tax year david01. If councils have underspent on their budget, they'll spend it before May. Pity it seems to be patching up here or as MikeyB says....the busier roads. Which makes sense for the motorist I guess.
    In my limited experience with rural roads the trend seems to be a layer of tar based substance covered in grit! I'm sure its cost effective but it makes them a nightmare to ride on untill they are worn in. I'm sure the Studland road will be fine by August for the Swanage classic
    At the weekend I went for a ride along some nice lanes that I normally run along. The state of the road was quite bad - I really didn't notice how bad when I was running along it but I hard to keep slowing down because I didn't feel safe going at any speed.

Although we can all find roads that are in a bad state there will be some near you that have been recently resurfaced and are in good condition and how much more tax are you willing to pay to get more roads sorted out?

Mike

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    IM Fighting this one to the death.The goverments ruining this sport.How the BLEEDIN HELL am i supposed to cope with change being a Time Trialist.Its a flippin outrage it realy is.Come guys lets nip this one in the bud.CYCLIST FIGHT BACK CUS WE AINT PUTIN UP WITH IT!
    I take it all back. They have been out tar spraying (hot tar with loose gravel on top) on my favorite route and I hate them.

They should sort out Britains roads right now!

Starting with the ones I ride on please.

Mike