Home Chat General Chat

Protein Bars

I'm looking for a new protein replacement bar, shake, powder that's low in calories. Does anyone know of any?

Comments

• TurtleTurtle Posts: 29
    Hi,

There are 4 calories per gram of protein, so ultimately the less calories you consume, the less protein you're getting too - in which case, why don't you just cut your portion size? I guess what you're really looking for is a supplement that has as little carbohydrates and fat - the other calorie contributors - as possible. I think EAS Myoplex is fairly protein rich while being a bit light on the carbs, but it's been awhile since I studied the package - or drank any. If you're really interested in pure protein, why not just eat some cottage cheese - very little carbs and not much fat.

If you go with Myoplex, I recommend chocolate cream flavor.

If you go with cottage cheese, I recommend a little salsa.

Best Regards,

Turtle
  • Thank you for the reply. I'm on the go alot so having a bar with me seems to work best. I've tried the Myoplex Lite chocolate chip bar. It was surprisingly tasty. Did you use Myoplex in the past?
  • rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    I like the CNP Pro-Flapjack bars (cheaper, but higher calories) and CNP Pro-Bar XS bars (twice the price, but 44% protein), if you're looking for bars. Chocolate flavour is what I go for, avoiding the orange/almond/cherry/berry flavours. And, it takes about 30 minutes to chew each bite, so it must be good stuff.
  • TurtleTurtle Posts: 29
    I used to have the Myoplex shakes, but I've not had the bars. I used it more when I was lifting weights, but also after a long run. Common wisdom for endurance training seems to be replenishing more carbs than protein after a long session. If you're training a lot, I'd worry more about not getting enough calories than getting too much - but then, I won't exactly be the leanest competitor in the race.

• What do people think of the:

Powerbar protein+ bar

SIS rapid rego and build

Andy

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    make my own flapjacks & control what & how much goes in..
  • i dont know about you i find quite hard to put 16g of protein in my flatjacks for cafine LOL

Andy

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Mainlining caffeine is the only answer..dip your flapjacks in an espresso..so to speak.
  • Hi

I've tried and liked Maximscle's promax diet shake powder and bars.

I think they're aimed at women losing weight, not sure if this matters.

A shake will have 228 calories and 37g of protein, I think the bars are something like 203 calories. I have the strawberry shake which is OK and the bars are chocolate flavour and taste quite nice, though they do feel a bit wierd, I always feel like my tongue is going a little numb when eating one!
  • Did you feel they added your revovery?

Andy

• I use the protein powder from Holland & Barratt one scoop a day (83 kcals). Just never pay the full price as for 10 mts a year it's half price.

Following an event a use a protein bar (Power Bar) and all in all I do think they aid recovery.