Home Chat General Chat

Racing in the rain!

Hi

I am going to be competing this weekend in my 2nd tri and the weather forecast is terrible, Heavy Rain!!!

Any advice for a novice?

It's a pool swim so no problem there, more worried about the bike- a flat 24k

Cheers

Comments

• SetantaSetanta Posts: 42
    Like all races just try to stay calm. I have had a few races so far this year and all have been in the rain. You really don't need any extra gear, the Tri Suit, if you have one will keep you warm enough. Don't start messing with putting on clothes before the bike as that will waste a lot of time. If the bike leg is flat then you should be fine. Enjoy.
  • Hi

Only had one race in the wet, so can only give a couple of tips:

- take the bends easy

- don't cycle too close behind anyone (the muddy spray from their wheels goes run up into your eyes)

- If transition is outside, take a box with a lid so that you can keep your stuff dry until the last minute. Then lay out your shoes, turn the box upside down and put it over the shoes, sort of like a tent. It only takes a second to remove the box once you arrive at transition and it means that your bike shoes and trainers aren't half full of water.

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    I just think of it as swimming with a bike.doesent bother me.Water of a ducks back
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Inflate your tyres to about 20psi below their max.An overinflated tyre will provide less grip and a greater chance of gravel rash.
  • peddlerspeddlers Posts: 18
    where did you race this weekend? and how did you do with the rain. i race Calne, and was very wet and cold, but push on through and finished respectivly.
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    I did Crystal Palace this weekend. Very scary bike being wet and slippy, + huge fun going down a steep hill into a hard left turn.

Still, very enjoyable even if I was slower than last year :(
  • leigh35leigh35 Posts: 28
    Hi

I raced at Woodhall Spa, very cold, very wet and very windy, but very well organised event didn't do too bad considering, but made the mistake of using an old bike due to the conditions being bad, cost me time due to chain slipping constantly,and being alot heavier than my new steed!!!

That's my excuse and I am sticking to it!!
  • Glad the races went well. Now that the rain is still fresh in your mind, are there any tips that you learnt?