Home Gear Triathlon Gear

Speedo Thinswim (2mm)

I'm looking at doing my first OW triathlon. the St Helens Olympic distance.

I have very limited experience of wet suits, I did the Zone3/Vital events training day with Jo Jackson at Southport and loved the feel of the Zone3 stuff and the bouyancy it provided. Seeing how the cheapest I can find an 'Advance' is £139 I'm wondering if the the cheaper Speedo (£89 - decathlon) is worth the gable. I'm a big fan of Speedo stuff as my Daughter is a Competitive pool swimmer and swears by their Fastskin suits ( I just swear at the price  )

Does anyone use these suits? tried one? 

Comments

• SkettySketty Posts: 24

I started off with an Orca TRN which is an ultra budget wetsuit, this was the original TRN not the newer Thermo model. It was easy to put on and and remove and fitted very well. I used that for a couple of years but it always felt like sea swims were cold and hard work and I didn't look forward to them. I know my open water swimming has improved through experience but I treated myself to a new suit last September, a Blue Seventy Reaction which I got for £200 as it was the previous seasons model. I can't tell you how much better this wetsuit is and I know look forward to open water swims. I don't think it has anything to do with the brand being any better or worse however buying further up any range results in an improvement in features and quality. The Reaction is warm, buoyant and it feels very unrestricted in the arms compared to the old suit. The neoprene is very thick in the body and hips and corrects my position in the water so well that I can virtually float horizontally before I even start moving.

My advice would be buy a mid range wetsuit now or at least the best you can afford. If you look after it you will be able to sell it for a good price if you decide this is not for you or want to upgrade later. I paid £100 for the Orca TRN and after two years use got nearly £70 for it on Ebay.

• risris Posts: 1,002
    I've got a Speedo tricomp 15 and it is pretty good, very easy to put on and take off, and fine up to 1.5k (not worn it further). Fit is key though, and while the Speedo is pretty good, I have a 2010 helix that is a lot snugger. Total sod to get into, though! If you can find somewhere that will let you try if on then it would be best, sadly!
  • I've just checked proswimwear for prices as I recently saw some sale there, but still £139,99 is the best price for Speedo. 

• rob chalmersrob chalmers Posts: 113

Sorry I should have updated this, I've ditched the idea of get an end of line bargain at Decathlon, I've bought an ex-rental suit from MyTriathlon.co.uk instead. fits awesome and I'm going to try it out tonight!