Home Gear Triathlon Gear

SUN PROTECTION??

I have had every kind of skin cancer under the sun and I have gotten back into triathlons this year training for Ironman Florida.  Looking for some more recommendations for sun protection. Also why is it impossible to find a long sleeve race kit/training top for women? I have purchased pearl izumi shrugs and just ordered some cooling sleeves to see how those work, but with all of us out in the sun everyday what is the best way to protect ourselves from the sun? Please help me find some more options. Also, has anyone ever swam in arm coolers? are they race legal?

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002

trisirena, given your background i guess you know more about sun protection than most people here, who will figure a bit of water resistant factor 30 will cut it! 

whether arm coolers are legal for swimming in will probably depend on the race organisers - i would expect that for IM sleeves would be fine (i think that short course racing has rules around covered shoulders, but i may have imagined that!). i'd hope you can find a long sleeved swim skin or similar with suitably fitted sleeves for a non-wetsuit swim.

i'm surprised you are having trouble getting hold of women's long sleeve kit - there should at least be some winter / autumn jerseys out there which won't be that different to a regular one. i think your idea of wearing arm coolers is a really good one, and easily transferable from bike to run. 

• Hi there,

I have always sworn by Aloe Gator SPF40+ gel, I genuinely find that it lasts all day and I'm yet to burn whilst wearing it for a triathlon! While it is a little sticky it's totally waterproof, so you can splash yourself with water after applying so the gel doesn't stop you from getting out of your wetsuit quickly. It's also available in a lotion but I find the gel works best, and their aloe vera-based aftersun is also very good. 

It only seems to be available on Amazon in the UK, here's the link… http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aloe-Gator-SPF-Gel-4-Ounce/dp/B000M30ZDM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440689612&sr=8-2&keywords=aloe+gator 

Hope this helps!

Jack, 220

• Rieman P20 for the win, even comes in a factor 50 now.  Used it in Kenya for 3 weeks (Factor 20) and never even got a hint of a tan.  Put it on before leaving the shade in the morning and it lasts all day, is water and sweat proof.  Don't inhale when applying to your face though as it's alcohol based.