Home Chat Race Chat

Newbie Question - Challenge Weymouth Half Transition Gear

Hi everyone, 
First time poster (please be gentle), so immediate apologies if I have posted something wrong in the wrong location. I know some people can be a little irritated by these kinds of things. 

I'm doing my second half-Iron distance tri in a few weeks at Weymouth here in the UK, however I've never done a tri organised by either Challenge or WTC, and there feels a bit of lack of info on the logistics side from my perspective - answers I have gotten are a bit vague. Races I've done previously have been rather localised; with registration and transition set up done on the same day - whereas this is the first time I've had to rack my bike the day before. Because I'm in London, I'll be travelling back home after racking my bike, before driving down early on Sunday for the race. 

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether there is anything other than my bike I should take with me on the Saturday. Do you take your two bags of transition gear with you? Or just your bike, and then drop your transition gear off on the Sunday morning? I was thinking of dropping my bike and running gear off on Saturday, registering and doing the brief - returning to London - and then coming back with swimming kit for Sunday morning, before cracking on with it. 

Any help would assuage this anxious (wannabe) triathlete. 

Thanks, 
Sean 

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002

hi sean, welcome to the 220 forum...

i've not done challenge weymouth (half or full), and as you say each race is quite different in how it is organised. looking through the race events schedule it looks like the bike racking and bag check-in is on the saturday, so it looks like you need to have all that stuff sorted before you head home. my recollection from ironman a couple years ago was the same - T1 and T2 bags racked with the bike the day before, and the pre/post race bag was collected near the swim start. not sure if challenge do the last bit, but wouldn't be surprised if they do. 

• Oh ris, you are a superstar!  Thanks very much; I figure if I take my kit down on the Saturday, worst case scenario means I have to take it back with me Sunday morning.

Thanks so much!

• Sean,

This is not a silly question, these are the type of things which should be covered in the race briefing or athlete guide/race programme which you may not have received yet and will normally be covered the day before in these type of events.

I would take all your bike/run gear with you on Saturday,

Good Luck and enjoy

• I agree; I guess being a bit anxious doesn't help.  It's still nearly a month to go, so I'm sure the team at Challenge will have something in the mail soon that will clear everything up - it just doesn't help when I'm trying to decide if I should book a hotel or not!

• bathtubbathtub Posts: 280

Hi Sean I would suggest you contact Just Racing direct for any specific race queries prior to them releasing Race day info, they are normally very helpful, at least it will put your mind at rest knowing what you need to do.

According to the race schedule on their website it states :-

Weymouth Half race brief Saturday 17.00 - 18.00

Transition open Sunday  05.00 - 06.00

If I was in your shoes I would seriously think about whether I would want to drive back to London after the Saturday race brief then a very early start to drive back to Weymouth to make transition before 6 am closing .It will be a tough day without the added burden of a long drive and little sleep, for me  I would definitely look for overnight accommodation to ensure I was fresh and relaxed for race day.

Whatever you chose to do I hope it all goes to plan and wishing you a great race.

• Please stay locally for the weekend. The roads leading to Weymouth are quiet narrow and single carriage ways. You will run the possibly of missing the start. 

You will need to register first, this will give you your bags and race numbers. Everything at Weymouth is close together. Attend the briefing then rack bike and hand in your bags. Doing it in this order will allow you to chill out and relax.

Don't forget buy an ice cream.