Home Chat General Chat

Into the Deep End

Hi All,

I am another newbie to this sport - please bear with me - and had one question that I hope you can help me with:

I live near Reading, England and if anybody has contact information for any clubs/groups in the area that they can recommend then I would be most grateful - in particular I will be needing much help with swimming...[sm=rolleyes.gif]

So far (just last month) I have added general swimming to my running/biking and I now feel I'll never be without a training session I can do (sometimes legs are too tired for run/bike) - so i figure I'll always be busy!!

However, I really have no idea if how to do this and although I can interpret informatin from all sources [8|] I have read it is better to open water swim with a buddy - and sometimes I am not a sole runner and I have found this helps much on the long runs from time to time - so SR is looking to get sociable (ish)...[;)]

Thanks in advance

SR

Comments

• bump [:o]
  • GallantryGallantry Posts: 38
    Hi Sole Runner!

I live near Reading and joined Thames Valley Triathletes last Autumn. I've found the club really really friendly with some great atheletes (who are normal with no ego's) and also plenty friendly beginners (like me). The club swims three times a week (Bulmershe pool, Leigton Park schools and Queen Annes), all of which are coached, and do some running and club biking. My swimming was awful when I started and it's come quite some way. They also hold a monthly social down at the Ibis/ Prudential fitness place down Scours Lane.

The website is: http://www.tvt.tritalk.co.uk/

If you want to know more take a look at the website and/or drop me a line karen_gallantry@yahoo.co.uk and I'll put you in touch with someone. Alternatively you can just show up at a swim session and you'll be welcomed with a friendly smile - personally I'd say the Weds or Fri swim night would be best <as the pool's are nicer ;o) >

There is another club which is not so local to Reading which someone I know at work belongs to and also says wonderful things - Berkshire Tri club, think they're based more Ascot/ Windsor way so probably depends which side of Reading you live or work as to whether that would suit you.

Cheers, Karen

• PC67PC67 Posts: 101
    In May 2006 I went out to recce the Windsor Olympic bike course and met some members of the Berkshire Tri Squad outside Barry's Cafe. They let me ride with them and we went for a hot chocolate afterwards. They were very friendly and if I didn't live 40 miles away I'd definitely join up with them.
  • Hi Gal,

Thanks for reply - I met a TVT member at the pool today and they said pretty much the same as you. I'll look into the various distances from home of the training venues and I hope to make contact soon - I have an off-road marathon next week and so am curbing my enthusiasm for Tri until after.

Cheers

Rob

• Hi PC,

Thanks for the reply - seems I have options! The Berks Tri Squad sound a little formidable..do they cycle in formation ? (sorry BTS - I guess you've heard them all before). Seriously, I'll look at websites, locations and schedules and see which will work best...

Rob