Home Chat General Chat

ITB syndrome!! ironman uk in 11 weeks!!

Help. I completed Bala middle distance yesterday and after a strong bike I went onto to the run feeling ok but three miles in my right knee developed ITB and i ended up walking hobbling and jogging and got round the half marathon in two hours. can anyone suggest how i can keep preparing for ironman uk whilst trying to sort this problem out so it doesn't happen again at sherbonne?? Please.

Comments

• My advice is go and see a good physio asap.

I had ITB problems 10 weeks before the london marathon a couple of years ago, I didn't know what it was at the time and spent several weeks running a bit then resting, running and resting. It didn't go away until I went to the physio.

He gave me three very simple exercises which I did as often as I could.

Was out running again straight away, just had to keep up the exercises.

Within three weeks I was back to do doing 18 mile runs and 50 mile weeks.

By the time the marathon came the pain had gone and posted 3:24.

There is hope [:)]
  • Stu-munStu-mun Posts: 8
    Thats encouraging thanks, what were the 3 excersizes in a nut shell?[8|]
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Stu, I might have some articles on the stretches recommended for ITB. I'll have a look over the next couple of days & e-mail you.

Cheers

Rob
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    what is ITB ?
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Ilio Tibial Band pain, long distance runners get it pain at outer aspect of thigh or knee
  • rj1265rj1265 Posts: 70
    There is a good article in one of the previous issues of the esteemed magazine 220 Triathlon about running and common issues it cover ITB and has some stretches that should be done to help avoid the problem.

I can recommend them - I had ITB trouble at the beginning of the year (caused by over training and not warming up correctly earlier this year), ensuring that I warm up , warm down and stretch properly all the pain has gone. I only get a mild reminder if I forget to perform any one of the above correctly.

Happy Training (less than 9 weeks to London , must swim more)

R

• rorksrorks Posts: 5
    I too have had ITB before it is hell. I had it before Marathon des sables, and had to cut right back on training. Now have early signs of it in training for Austria IM. You need to firstly see a physio, who will give you deep tissue massage. this hurts but is good. you need to sut right back on your running for the moment. you need a foam roller which you lie on and roll up and down, it is like giving yourself deep tissue and breaks down the ITB (which is essentially caused by having a tight ITB, which anoyingly cannot be properly stretched). Also i got a PAT STRAP off the internet which i still wear. Google it. it goes above the knee and straps the ITB close to your leg, ie tight to stop it running.

physio first though, or sports injury guy. do not think that you can run through it.

you may need new trainers.

fyi i ran the paris marathon with a bad knee, pushed through the pain (didnt know what itb was then) and then couldnt basically walk for 5 days. it was hell. do not try and run through it!
  • Stu-munStu-mun Posts: 8
    thanks rorks having my massage tomoorow and ordered the foam roller and the patt strap yesterday good to know they may actually help. cheers again