Home Chat Race Chat

My journey towards an Ironman

Hey

My name's Ben, I'm 40 years old living in Dorset, England. Married, two kids, I work in sales and have had an on/off relationship with sport all my life! 

About three years ago, on the sofa with the missus and well into our second glass of wine she peered at my iPad and snorted "ha! you cant do a triathlon". Charming, eh?!! Anyway, I signed up - I'd been playing five-a-side footy for the last 8 or so years every Monday night and thought "Yes, I can"! I had two weeks to train before my first sprint Tri... 

I completed it. I liked it. I overloaded on fluids and needed to go to the loo at T2 but I thought I can work on this. I decided to complete a three year experiment to see what I could learn. It also gave me a reason to stop my occasional smoking habit. 

So, last week, out on my bike (after three years of competing) I decided to do a half IronMan next year. I'm blogging to share my training experience and experiments, and to have a record I can look back on that is slightly more interesting than my Garmin logs! Who knows, but hopefully I'll also write something that might be useful to other normal blokes trying to keep fit? 

Anyway, come over and please comment, like, follow, advise, contribute etc...!

http://www.triathlondaddy.com

Thanks! 

Comments

• Hi, find a good training plan and stick to it, I used this to do my first 1/2 ironman last year and full (Ironman Wales) this year, it will be tough on the day but it is supposed to be and worth the effort for the feeling you get when finished.

Good luck

Matt

• Cheers Matt. When you say "I used this" did you plan on posting a link or are you re-enforcing your previous statement!?