Home Training for a Triathlon

BOLTON 2016 - MY FIRST FULL

Hi all,

Just wanted a chat with likeminded people. I'm in the early stages of training for next years IM in Bolton. I've been swimming a lot and my running is decent anyway.

I'm trying not to do too much too soon. For the past 3 weeks I've been getting up at 4:30am 4 days a week to train before work and then beasting the weekends too.

This week I've been absolutely exhausted. Is this just a natural thing? I like to think I'm fuelling properly but is it just a case of my training has taken a big step up and my body is adjusting?

What are other peoples experience? I've done a 70.3 before but that was 2 years ago and I've not really triathlon trained since, just running.

Thanks All.

Comments

• Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190

I think you rather answer your own question: "I've been getting up at 4:30am 4 days a week to train before work and then beasting the weekends"

What time do you  usually get up? If you're losing 60-90 minutes sleep in the morning are you going to bed earlier? How must is beasting the weekends? What was your training load before? How much training are you doing every morning?

If you have gone from a couple of runs a week to 6 big training days then no wonder your body is feeling it, combine that with cutting back on sleep and you could be on the fast track to burn out and/or injury

IM Bolton is a LONG way away. Just relax to re-hash a cliché we've all heard probably 20 times this week "winter miles = summer smiles" just relax. There's no point over doing it and increases in intensity and volume should be gradual, think 10% per week to let your body build in to it. You may well be fuelling fine but its essential to allow your body time to recover and consolidate the gains you are making rather than just thrashing it in to oblivion.

It impossible to say exactly what your problem is but have a look and my list of questions and answer them honestly and it may well give you some idea of why your feeling it!

• Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

You’re probably right. I’m probably over thinking it too early.

As a general thought I didn’t think I was doing too much for early training. But going from a few runs to most days probably will take an initial toll.

I’ve generally been doing the following:

Mon : REST

Tue AM: Weights and Strength

Wed AM: 5 Mile Run

Thur AM: 1 Mile Swim

Fri AM: 5 Mile Run

Saturday: 1 Hour weights and Strength followed by 8-10 Mile Run

Sunday 2 Mile Swim followed by 20 mile bike.

Don’t look at the weights like I’m trying to bulk up. I’m definitely not. My arms aren’t very strong so it’s more for swim strength.

I know the 4:30AM alarm doesn’t help but I have been going to bed earlier to cater for this.

Throwing all of this in with a very busy 8-5:30 job and I guess I will feel the effects.

To most of you the above probably doesn’t look like a lot, but going from 3 Runs in 7 days to doing 6 out of 7 days is a big immediate jump.

I’ll take your advice and take it easy and look at the 10% increase. I think it’s probably just an amalgamation of taking the step into triathlon training.

Thanks Again.

Sam

• Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190

Sam - there's nothing there that looks ridiculous to me and this should certainly be a routine you can build up to over a month or two and indeed add to.

Two hours of strength is to be commended and very easy for triathletes to ignore S&C work, but maybe cut one of those sessions out to begin with and make sure you are looking at a tri based S&C plan (e.g. Dave Scott's suggestions in 220 a couple of months ago).

If you are concerned about swim strength you could always add some paddles sets into your swim work outs to increase resistance on the hand and help boost your power in the water as this functional swim strength will likely serve you better than the strength training you can reproduce in the gym.