Home Chat General Chat

Wetsuit Sizing

JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
Just wanted to check how a good wetsuit should feel. I just hired one from the London Tri company, and i am sure it is too short.

The zip feels like it is pulling me rigid. Is this how tight it should be, or should you be able to bend over and touch your toes. there is sone slack, but I am sure last year when i had another make of wetsuit, it did not feel so tight.

When i hold it against me, it is about half a foot shorter tham me. I know they are supposed to stretch, but there is stretching and stretching.

It is a size 8 Orca S1, and i am a little over 6foot.

Comments

• TurtleTurtle Posts: 29
    I'm no expert and I've never worn an Orca. But, that does sound a bit short to me. Sounds like you'll miss out on a good deal of bouyant material on your legs. I have a sleeveless Mormaii. It goes to my ankles and fits like a glove...
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    It does go down to my ankles, and my wrists. It just feels like it is pulling on my shoulders quite a bit. Maybe I should try swimming, see how it feels.

I have the Norwich Triathlon in less than a month, so need to get it sorted it quick.
  • size 8 should be the right one... My London Tri Orca S1 suit is also pretty short (about 6 inches up from the heel by the time I've pulled it fully on) but it works well. The first time I tried it I had real difficulty breathing because it was v.tight around the neck and stiff on the back. I solved that by pulling it as far up into my crotch and as far up under the armpits as possible - it made it seem even shorter on the calves but it did become a very snug, comfortable fit on the upper body. I've swum up to 1500m in it since then and it's always seemed ok. I can't compare it to others because it's the only one I've had. I guess the more expensive wetsuits manage to reach your ankles whilst remaining tight fitting. Not sure how much of an advantage that is though - might make you more bouyant and hence a bit less drag. Your only other option is the MT size of Orca (6' to 6'4" and 70-80kg) which is the one I think I have (6'2.5" and 75kg), but that is likely to be even tighter, albeit longer, than the size 8.

• LuckyLucky Posts: 137
    I swam in my size 7 for the first time today (5ft 9) and it seemed very snug on, but seemed to work fairly well for swimming in, think it will give a bit over time, although T1 should be interesting....
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Thanks for the help.

Your description about being v.tight around the neck and stiff on the back is exactly how mine is. It seems fine everywhere else.

Maybe it is the right size. I can move my arms around no problem, so maybe the previous one I had was not tight enough.

I will give it a go and see how I get on. Thanks again

• WellaWella Posts: 188
    Your description about being v.tight around the neck and stiff on the back is exactly how mine is. It seems fine everywhere else.

Maybe it is the right size. I can move my arms around no problem, so maybe the previous one I had was not tight enough.

JasonB wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Jason,

I had exactly the same problem until I was shown how to put one on properly. Sounds daft but it worked.

Put the suit on and then starting at the legs start to pull out and stretch the suit up the body. Keep doing it and you will end up with a pocket of air just below the neck and you should be able to the pull the neck of the suit up high. Do the same with the arms and then again across the torso.

The suit will then sit quite high on the neck and will probably feel uncomfortable at first but the overall fit should be so much better.

Apologies if you've tried this already but it worked for me.
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    I've had problems with sizing. According to Orca (in the unisex days sizing days) I was a 6.5. It fitted but was too short in the body. The next size up was a better fit. Still not right.

Blue Seventy have me as a Small Tall but is again too small. It's a Medium for me. Fortunately TFN let me have both sizes to try.

Correct sizing seems to be a widespread problem & if you can then certainly try the next size up.

As has been said putting it on correctly is most important otherwise size is irrelevant. The Blue Seventy website gives details of how to put it on properly.