Home Chat General Chat

Cramp When Swimming

Hi, I have recently been experiencing cramp in my calfs when swimming in open water. The last time was so bad I could hardly walk for two days. Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent this? I do try to stretch my muscles after each exercise session.

Thanks, Joe

Comments

• rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    Of course, it depends on the distances you are swimming, the conditions in which you are swimming, whether or not you are using a wet suit, etc.

Try getting in the water and swimming a little, resting a little and warming up gradually before you set in to do your full distance swim. Maybe jogging gently before you get in the water, cycling gently, or doing other things to warm your body and legs up before you do the swim.

If you do experience cramping, then the best thing is to slow down, relax that part of your body as much as you can, try to massage that part if you can, and slow your breathing down. If you are wearing a wet suit, then use that extra buoyancy to float for a minute.
  • JoeBowJoeBow Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try the warm up run beforehand. I'm using a wetsuit and I always start to feel it around the 700m mark - really annoying at Blenheim last weekend as had to walk to transition trying to stretch the muscle - never happens on bike or run section - so probably sounds like I need to do warm up run.

Thanks.