Home Chat General Chat

Nutrition during race

[color=#cc3399]Hi All,[/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]I had a quick flick through the old posts but couldn't see anything on this (I may have missed something so apologies if i have...). [&:][/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]I did a sprint tri a few weeks back and during the cycle (with only 7kms to go) i had one gel which made a difference, the stitch that i had suddenly disappeared and i generally felt a bit better within myself. I was also sipping on Poweraid as I cycled around. [/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]It was a hot day and if i had a second bottle holder i would definately have put some water on there! [/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]Anyway, I'm doing a longer tri (nearly olympic distance) in a couple of weeks and want to know what people would suggest in terms of before and during the race (afterwards is easy - whatever i can get my hands on!!!) I like the idea of gels but think that i need a mix of a powder (dont know which one) with water for the bike because just the poweraid made me fantasise about water!!! And i think i can only handle one bottle... [/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]Actually - has anyone experimented with a camelbak on the cyle?[/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]Any ideas/tips/experiences would be greatly appreciated!!! [8|][/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]Thanks [/color]

[color=#cc3399]Barbs[/color]

Comments

• hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Hi Barbs, Yolur going to get a few suggestions on this question I suspect. WWith only a couple of weeks till your tri, Id say youd need to experiment with a couple of different carb/energy drinks. I personally find High 5 (neutral flavour) which is as close to tasing plain water as poss for me.

Big pasta based meal the night before, sip your way through a bottle of High 5 or other brand on way to event and energy drink/gels as and when you need them seems to work for me.

On the other hand Iknow people who cant stomach that, hence you getting a varied answer here.

Im sure you know already DONT LEAVE IT TO RACE DAY TO EXPERIMENT! [:-].

• BarbsaramaBarbsarama Posts: 73
    [color=#cc3399]Good point not leaving it to race day to experiment, but i feel like i'm wasting it if i use them before! The gel i used last time worked ok i think, i got a bit of a surprise when i did crack into it because it is not the nicest sensation eating a gel haha![/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]I get the stitch quite easily so although i should make sure i'm sipping water i have to make sure i don't have too much before the race.[/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]What do you use?[/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]Thanks :o)[/color]
  • DarylDaryl Posts: 10
    To reinforce what hound dog said, it is imperative that you try out your nutrition before a race. I also use High 5, but I prefer the citrus flavour. I tend to mix it slightly weaker than suggested to give a less strong flavour. I use this daily before and after training to ensure adequate hydration and energy replacement. The same thing goes with using gels. As you discovered your first gel can be a surprsing experience, maybe even unpleasant. Make regular use of them during your longer training runs and rides will acclimatise yourself to them and give you an idea as to how and when to use them. Remember to wash the gels down with a few gulps of water. During the New Forest Middle Distance last year I got through about 6 gels on the bike and 3 more on the run, in addition to 3 bottles of High 5 Isotonic and water at the aid stations on the run. I had worked this out before the race and stuck to a plan.
  • BarbsaramaBarbsarama Posts: 73
    [color=#cc3399]Thanks for the advice![/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]So, now i'm thinking... A gel as i get on the bike, one 3/4s way through and then sipping on a powdered drink on the bike. Do you think that's reasonable? Do you think i'll need one part way around the 7.5km run?[/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]Thanks [:)][/color]
  • hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Doubt it, carbs can give you thefeeling of you've had your fill of them after a while, and water will do.

The best thing is to carry a gel and listen to your body. Given the distance I think you'll be fine. I assume they'll also be a water station on run. Enjoy.