Home Chat General Chat

Iron Man switzerland

Comments

• steveosteveo Posts: 69
    maybe i worded that wrongly, it is not meant to be a race but dont slouch around.

exams over now for some catch up. taking the carbon steed to the garage tomorrow for a final over haul before it gets packed up ready or the off.

when are you guys flying out? i think i fly on the tuesday so will have a few days to soak up the atmosphere and test how hot the weather will be and how cold the lake is.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 2
    Very jealous of all you guys doing this. This was my first in 2005 and it is great.

Couple of pointers - CO2 canisters are not allowed on planes - in luggage or in the cabin - not worth trying - get them at the massive expo there.

Heartbreak Hill is a bit steep but at least its short. The Beast is harder as its lots longer.

It could be very hot there - get used to the heat in the last few weeks by running in extra clothes than you would normally. I think we had 30+ degrees for the run.

It was IMDE that was non wetsuit last year - first time ever for an European IM race. I was of the opinion that they always fiddled the temps to allow wetsuits - but that wasnt the case there. Hopefully it will be cool enough to allow them though. I was 45 mins slower in there than I was in IMCH !

If anyone is stuck for accomodation - there is a youth hostel 10 mins walk away from the start - perfect and better facilities than a lot of proper hotels I've stayed in. Cant fault it.

Any more questions give me a shout.

Have fun !!
  • TurtleTurtle Posts: 29
    There seem to be an assortment of CO2 cartridges. Mine have threads, some don't. See any problem finding either in Zurich?

Thanks.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Hi guys I hope that training/wind-down is going well. At the moment I'm doing as much open water swimming as possible in order to overcome any panic attacks, and to get used to the wetsuit. This evening however I'll go for a 90 minute race pace run.

It's good to learn that there is a massive expo as A: I'll have forgotten something and will need to buy it, and B: Now that I secured the promotion I'll have even more money to blow on useless kit that I just might need some day.

Anyway as I've mentioned elsewhere I've kept a running total on EVERYTHING I've paid for that has directly to do with the IronMan, and tobe honest most of it was actually used (possibly not necessary though), but I have yet to dare to add it all up!
    DONT DO IT hahahaha

i bought a new wetsuit yesterday as a present to myself on finishing my exams. will be trying it out tomorrow morning in the local delph. you can certianly feel the difference between my 2005 orca and predator and the new orca that i have. it is just so much more comfier in the shoulders.

i nailed the swim again on wednesday and have a big week planned next week (rugby at the weekend) then it is a wind down with a few miles here and there for the taper.

my flight and hotel confirmation came through from nirvana europe this morning so it is now all official and i am extremely excited.
    i forgot to say.

that given my lack of training over the last month or so i have decided that dicretion is the better part of valour and have opted for a triple chainset.

before you say anything, i know i know but i want to finish this race and if the triple helps me up the beast then so be it.
    More news on the kit front - indirectly - I've just been told that I'm getting another payrise as and from next month so who knows what I'll buy in Zurich!!

Anyway Its good to hear that you have completed the exams I hope they went well and that you can now get into a good state of mind for training and the event.

Orca seem to be the main men when it comes to wetsuits, I have a 2006 Apex and its great and now that I'm getting to meet more and more triathletes, guess what they use - Orca, is this because of the marketing or are they better, or could I tell the difference anyway?

That is the thing about triathlon and Ironman -its a kit junkies dream and I'm a kit junkie, rowing is great but once you've bought your boat and oars thats it there's no upgrading, but triathlon is great that way, so I'm delighted to learn that you"splashed out" on a wetsuit.

Also do we hold the record for this thread 10 pages!!!!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Orca seems to flood the market and if you shop around you notice a large number of stores give away orca wetsuits with bike purchases.Triathletes being savvy when it comes to money want as much as possible for their hard earned pay,or maybe that is just me.This could be the reason that you see more of them.I used a QR one for 5 years and it is still top quality.Changing the topic to CO2 canisters.Being compressed gas they are deemed 'dangerous goods',so are deoderant and hairsprays,the airline has the last say so whether they can be carried on board or not,check with the enquirey desk for the airline and if they say yes with or without provisos ring the handling agent at the airport of departure and ask them as well,if the handling agent does not know what they are they will say NO.Do not risk it if you have any doubt as they will be confiscated.

Have you decided on your nutrition,if not there is a really nice cafe 20 miles into the bike course just before the first climb,a lovely rest on the second lap.
    Hi guys we're down to 12 days and counting... I have made further experiments with my nutrition and have decided to not even think of hi5 and to just use water and powerbars on the bike - taking liberal sips of water at will and then taking a 1/4 powerbar every 15 minutes, washed down with water. Also for no good reason I seem to crave ham sandwhiches on the bike so guess what I'll take a few of them as comfort food. Runwise I don;t know what to do but I might just use the take anything I get whenever I get it approach!

Is there a benchmark feed pattern for IM that we can individualise or does everyone eat to their own beat.... which reminds me I still haven't got an IMCH song!
    Regarding the advice to deflate tires on the plane...

Do they have air pumps in the bike storage / transition area or should I pack one? I'd rather avoid using up CO2 cartridges in non-emergencies.

Also, do they have a water source at the transition area? I'll be bringing may own drink for the start of the bike and run and will need to know where I should plan on preparing it. And, if I can prepare a bucket of water for washing the sand off my feet, that'll be great. Don't know if I'll be bringing a bucket with me though.

IMCH song? Will they play a song for us?

Bon Jovi... It's my life... it's now or never...
    Hi Turtle hope the training is going ok and your injuries have not flared up.You may be able to borrow a track pump/bike pump in transition from one of the others there but I would take one just in case.There is water in the toilets but probably better to prepare at your accomodation,as for washing your feet the lake is rocky and the swim exit has matting so your feet should not get sandy unless you want to take your own beach with you, a towel by your bike will serve you just as well.Best of luck.
    Good morning everybody. 10 days and I'm getting very nervous.

Has anyone seen the weather forecast for Zurich? I'm searching for a site but as of yet have not got one with the weather I want!! Another nervous question what is the run course like - flat or hilly?

Turtle I plan to take my track pump with me, as I've heard that if it is hot that Boyle's gas law comes into play namely the increased temperature will cause an increase in tyre pressure and they could blow (pvt from physics) and that you might be better off not fully inflating your tyres if the weather is very hot!

Steve O have you considered a compact chainset instead of a triple - it's lighter and probably cheaper as you won't have to go changing your bottom bracket and rear mech?

All the best and remember we have to arrange a definite meeting place and time befor and after for a beer
    treefrog - if your read back through this link you will see that jonE gave us a website for the weather. the run course is flat with a few little slopes as tghe route goes through underpasses.

as for the transmission on my bike - my other half has a trek 1500 with full ultegra on it which is a triple so it only cost me £15 to get it all swapped over.

turtle - stop panicking!! once you get there you will see that everything is available. i would not bother with co2 cartridges as i have heard nothing but bad things about them.

meeting place? i fly on the thursday and arrive about lunchtime. i suggest somewhere in the expo at a certain time on the friday evening??????
    song - (please feel free to sing along)

"whats that coming over the hill is it a monster"
    re weather - go on to www.ironman.ch do all the things to get in and make it in english then click on the 'general information' button on the left handside and it will link you to the local weather.

it looks as though it will be cloudy with a bit of sunsihine and quite cool at 16 degrees
    Greetings and best wishes for next week,wish I could be there but fate is what you make it,

obviously nerves getting the best of some people do not let you nerves ruin a great day,the run is flat (post No5),exploding tyres (post No17),weather (post No 131),nerves (post No137).Again regarding CO2 recepticles,an airline can refuse to carry any item,even nylon underpants due to static discharge,if you want written proof and all handling agents for airlines should have access to the Dangerous Goods Manual in this book written in the Blue pages under gas cartridges providing they do not hold more than 50ml(S.P.A48),unless the airlines own regs say no then you could argue your case for taking them.Enjoy the journey not just the finish.
    i cannot wait, already packed my bike into its case ready for the off.[:D]
    I did my last "big" session today a two hour cycle followed by a 20 minute run, with a new saddle. It was great as the new saddle alleviated the sciatica in my left hip and actually allowed me to run without pain, so the new gel flow gets my seal of approval.

Jon E you're quite right we (well I am) on a roller coaster of excitement, nerves, high hopes, premonitions of disaster, and adrenaline fuelled super powers. I suppose once the cannon goes all that is forgotten and the training takes over.

I have a new question and worry : My flight does not get into Zurich until late Friday evening - after race briefing is closed, will it be a problem if I miss the English language briefing? I'm signed up to Nirvana, and I hope that their experience will help me out.

I aim to register on Saturday morning and then probably take a walk around the expo. So how when where do we meet up? or will it always be a virtual/cyber-space club?

Do not worry about the race briefing any changes from the race details published are usually posted at registration and at the info point,all triathletes will help you out and most of them tell the truth if you have any queries.Just remember what Chaucer said 'He who is without fear is a fool'.
    If Steveo is leaving on Tuesday .... thats tomorrow! he may not have time to access the web so should we decide a meeting point now-ish & time? Saturday 13.00 (swiss time) at what stand at the expo, any thoughts?
    The school internet was down yesterday so I could not get on line, but with the lack of new additions I take it that most/all of you are in Switzerland now?

If so and you get to an internet cafe arrange a meeting place and time.
    Hey,

I've been out of town. I'm leaving for Zurich in 11 hours. Two-day rock festival and transporting my wife to and from her 300km biking challenge. I was impressed - she did it in 12:22. Got my trisuit yesterday - unaware that it had been sitting in the post office 8 days ago (they were unaware of it too!). Black and yellow Kiwame Kaiman (one piece). Against conventional wisdom - just had to try it out on a 9k run. Hard to get in and out of, but it feels alright in use. If I need to pee... they can hose me down at the finish line. No idea what's at the expo. I'd say let's try for continental tires - because they must be everywhere. If not that - then the finish line party - closest bar to the front door - 9:15 to 9:30pm. 6'1", short brown hair, 37 years old.

I'm not nervous about the race, yet - just finding my bike undamaged at the other end.

CYA,

Turtle.
    hi all, i got my dates wrong i fly tommorrow ie thursday.

i suggest we meet at the registration place (there is only one) at 11:00. i am 6'5" well built with close cropped hair. i will be wearing a rugby union top that is white and represents the south african team the Stormers.

turtle - if you have not got access to this message then i shall find the closest bar to the entrance to the party as soon as i finish. it will be ab out 2255 so get a cold one ready for me.

JonE - Thank you

all - can i suggest that we keep this strand open so we can give JonE our full reports post race?!?!?!
    Right that sounds good Saturday morning 11.00am at the registration office
    well then, that was a journey. finished it though and got the t shirt.

treefrog had a blinder he finished a lap full lap of the run ahead of me, fair play to you. if you are doing lough neagh get in touch and we can meet for a pint after that one?

i am absolutely knackered and really do not feel like doing anything at all. heartbreak hill really does not do its moniker justice. the beast on the other hand deserves everything that can be said about it.

will i do another one? i said never again after the race but i have been thinking about it on the plane home and all the what ifs and could have done this crept in. if i do do another one it will not be the swiss but maybe germany of austria.
    Well done everyone.Now would you do it again,and what lessons have you learnt.
    Just a quick reply I might get more time later on.

Firstly it was excellent to meet Steveo. I really felt bad leaving you to do that final lap on your own but obviously you completed it well done.

JonE I learned lots more later.

Steveo I am going to look into the lough Neagh triathlon and the Castlewellan one this evening so I'll reply to you on that one when I get an answer.

I'm off to Cork with the schools' rowers for trials and then off to Henley on Monday so I'm going to be busy for a few weeks. Must go now
    Hi guys,

Sorry I wasn't able to meet you; I had no access to internet until coming home on Tuesday. Registration desk did make more sense. I have no idea what would have been considered the "closest bar to the front door". I had no energy to consume a beer, regardless. I came in a little before 8pm (12:50). I was quite unprepared for the rugby match of a swim-start. Avoiding collisions and probably swimming a bit more out of the way than necessary did eat up some time in the water. When I came out, I could hardly walk. Stumbling along to my bike, I felt pretty incoherent until I made it out of the transition area.

I agree, Heartbreak Hill wasn't too bad. It was steep at the end, but relatively short, and the crowd helped keep up the energy level. Though, the third time, I was absolutely ready for the hills to end. I thought the Beauty was the worst, and without looking at the map, would have thought it was the Beast.

Scariest... the downhill after the Beast. I reached 76 kmph (48 mph) with my breaks on. The first time I went down, I could smell the rubber burning. I eased up a little the next two laps. I did hear of one accident on that hill. Someone from the UK told me the story after the race. Some unfortunate chap sped past him down the hill, lost control in that curve at the bottom, and ended up doing somersaults - the last of which sent his bike soaring into the air.

The run was just long, as marathons are, I guess. I didn't run fast and I gave into walking in spots.

Like steveo, I was think no way immediately after. But now... my legs feel ok. A little soreness left in the knees, perhaps. I have some stretching to do to regain flexibility. Some of my toe nails are definitely going to fall off... as they tend to get bruised and blistered during a long run. Most painful... the sunburn on my shoulders... where I didn't get around to smearing with suncream. The Kalmar Ironman-distance triathlon is in 3,5 weeks. We'll see...

JonE, thanks for all your input over the past several months. You've been really helpful. I'm sorry you weren't able to make the event. If you legs are feeling better and you're up for a challenge, you're welcome to come visit in Kalmar. I've been told it's the flattest, and therefore easiest Ironman-distance triathlon in the world. You can sign up the night before the race and it's a lot cheaper than one of the Hawaii-qualifying events.

Best Regards,

Turtle
    lessons - stay wide for the swim but try to not get too wide. i reckon i swam about 300m more than i needed to through poor navigation..

T1 - was slow as got really bad wind during the swim and could not P.

the bike was going great for the first 20k then the front mech cable snaps, so i could not go over 30kmh on the flat. down hill i managed to top 88kmh down the back of the beast.

T2 was quicker but took my sweet time not to forget anything except suncream!!!!! i have second degree burns through lack of suncream.

the run was a jog with alot of walking. the heat really killed me. i it had been a little cooler i could have done the run at least an hour quicker and have clocked a decent time. but still all i wanted was the cigar and the t shirt.

i am already looking into doing another one next year. my friends and family cannot grasp why i have become hooked on something that puts me and my body into such a state and still enjoy it.
    I'm going to put this thread to bed now! I thouroughly enjoyed the experience - my aim for 11.30 - 12.00 hours was on the cards until lap 2 of the run when all the energy drained from me and all I was left with was my persistence - so Turtle despite not meeting you I probably shook your hand as I made it in 7 minutes before you! Steve O it was great to meet you and Aisling and I will see you at Lough Neagh - I'll call re this - Jon E, Our mentor thank you for your input, advice, and encouragement.

Lessons loads of them but the one piece of advice I'd give anyone doing an Iron Man is that at some stage your energy reserves will fail and after this point it's your head that gets you through - my heart rate in the run went from 140-155 to below 120 because my body shut down - You must make this happen as far into the race as possible and you do this by 1. good training and 2. Getting a good feed plan(which I failed to do for the run)

Other than that enjoy the day and tell all you meet to live life to the full!

I completed my diary I did not add up the expenditure and I have done 3 10 km runs since and I have booked my holiday - cycling in the Dolomites.

Lastly it did not change my life but I can see how it might change someone's life and I will do another one and yes anyone reading this who is thinking about it all I can say is you know you want to