Home Chat General Chat

How do you get use to the tri bars?

Hi

For those of you experienced, how did you get used to riding the bike on the tri bars??

I seem to be fairly wobbly when cycling at high cadences 115rpm...do I need to do some strength training? Or any tips to help me improve my cycling on tri bars..

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    you use your elbows to balance on the arm rests and your hand to steer gently.And the other thing is you need extremely good balance wich may be you downfall.What i do every day is stand on one foot for 5 minits on each foot.This should help your balance and make you more stable
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    A cadence of 115 is very high. Are you solid at more normal cadences - 90ish for example. Is there any reason you are trying to go that high?

Mike

• mini__Cmini__C Posts: 44
    I cycle at 115rpm cause through some reading I found that high cadences tends to make your body burn more fat than cycling at a lower rev, this has something to do with the muscles using fast and slow twitch muscle...which is good for long distance cycling..etc.etc..

anyways...how is balancing on one foot for 5 mins going to help my balance on the bike??

Thanks

Chris
  • BarbsaramaBarbsarama Posts: 73
    [color=#cc3399]Hey Chris,[/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]I bought a second hand bike that came with tri bars and at first i too was wobbly but i eventually am getting better. All i did was practice. When you have a clear patch of road with not many cars and it is unlikely someone will pull out in front of you etc just get down on them. I used to get down on them whenever possible and now i'm reasonably used to them. Just like the clipless pedals etc that i am now used to...[/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]Enjoy! [:D][/color]

[color=#cc3399][/color]

[color=#cc3399]Barbs[/color]
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    Hi Chris,

I know this may answer may be used for a multitude of questions, but ensure your bike is set up properly. If you are over reaching on the aero bars then you are likely to find it harder to control. Remember that one small adjustment on one area of bike set up can have an impact on other settings.

I also agree with Mike on your cadence, it does appear to be high. Although I wouldn't claim to be an expert, I have recently written a dissertation on this area and know that it is pretty unusual to select such high cadences. The theory that it burns fat more than glycogen doesn't ring true, it is exercise intensity that defines which energy system you use. It may be this high cadence that is affecting your control. I would advise lowering your cadence and seeing how it feels.

David.
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Hi Mini,

Cadence 115 is unsustainable for long periods, as Boycie said it doesn't sound creditable. Fat burning is typically lower intensity prolonged exercise. Slow down keep the reps at 80-90 and try and get in a comfortable position.

• mini__Cmini__C Posts: 44
    well my rides to be honest are not that long....about 45-1.5hr over a distance of 25-50km so a cadence that high is not that unbelieveable.....I try to aim at riding above 100rpm on flats and hills.......
  • mark26mark26 Posts: 10
    Had the same problem when I start using tri-bars but as a previous reply it is all about practise & getting into the bars & doing the mileage & time.

As for the cadence each to ther own but there is NO way I can keep a cadence of 115 for a long period of time unless its downhill !! [:)]
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    It helps a lot actually.Its all to do with your center of gravity.the more you have the more balance you get and the more stable you are at very fast speeds and even more better when in aero possition
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    I used to do quite a lot of stuff to improve my balance and proprioception when I was playing rugby. Standing on wobble boards, balancing on big exercise balls, standing on one leg while doing something else, and that type of thing. I can see that improving your balance this way could help on the bike if you are wobbly.

Mike

• hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Just had a cycle tonight and thought Id try 115rpm for a longish distance. Didnt find the tri bars any prob but totally agree with most comments on here, try slowing down your cadence until at least you are comfortable on bars.
  • I have put tri bars on the bike I cycle to worn on and use them whenever I have a clear bit of road. In just a couple of weeks I have got completely used to using them.

I agree with the idea of using them as much as you can.