Home Training for a Triathlon

Swimmer trying a Tri

I have been a competitive swimmer for ten years now and still compete--just not at nearly the same level of intensity. I also run quite a bit; when I wasn't injured I was running 5-6 miles a run easily.

I want to do an Olympic distance tri in July. Is anyone familiar with training for a tri while at the same time staying focused heavily on swimming? How can I incorporate the biking and running (now that I'm healthy again) without breaking myself down while I still swim 12,000 yards a week?

Any advice for the beginner triathlete?

Comments

• gavinpgavinp Posts: 168

Hi Jenna

You need to appreciate that you will have three sports to train for now.  I'm assuming you are doing three swim sessions a week?  That's great.  You need to add run and bike sessions between your swim now - building slowly and not going to far/fast too soon (you have plenty of time to get to the start line for July).

Remember that as you are doing an Olympic distance race (for the first time), you don't need to be getting up over 40-50+ miles on the bike for instance.  Just train to slightly above the distance you need to get to in your race and then start working on upping your speed slowly (if you want to get competitive).

You can of course go further etc but that's up to you.

Hope this helps a little.

Have fun!

• Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190

Run or bike to some of your swim training can be some free baseline mileage  then build  a couple of bike  run sessions on non swim days?