Home Chat General Chat

FTP Cycling

I did the 'sufferfest' rubber glove test today and calculated my FTP at 157.  I've no idea if this is any good? I'm 41.  If anyone can help explain what's what with this it would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002

no idea how good it is - but i'm sure you will improve on it regardless!

i think the comparative measure isn't so much age but weight, to determine a watts/kg figure.  

i don't train with power, but i'm sure others on here do. 

• bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Have you tried googling "FAQ for the rubber glove FTP test" ?

That should answer your question.

Happy Training
  • JameslyJamesly Posts: 69

Thanks guys for your feedback, i'll try the FAQ and see where that takes me.  im 82kg if that makes any odds.

• Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190

Jamesly - did you feel like you wanted to be physically sick and/or pass out at the end of the test?

Is your power measurement accurate?

Hi Andrew - no I didn't want to pass out or be sick - maybe I could have pushed harder. My max heart was 179 and my FTP of 157 was the average over the 20 mins. Any thoughts?
  • This is where I think I didn't do a proper LT test, I wasn't ready to fall off the bike but I think if I had gone any harder/earlier I would have failed to hit the 20min distance without dropping pace massively. 

This was the first time I'd done this and like you wasn't sure how hard to push - it's a long interval. I was knackered at the end but wasn't about to throw up which must mean I could have gone harder! But think the result was probably fairly accurate. I'll do it again in a few weeks and see where it goes - I guess the idea the idea is for the number to be higher
    Hi Andrew - no I didn't want to pass out or be sick - maybe I could have pushed harder. My max heart was 179 and my FTP of 157 was the average over the 20 mins. Any thoughts?
  • Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190

Yea - to give you the generally idea, if you can read the numbers on screen/do anything other than gasp in oxygen, keep pedalling for dear life and beg for it to be over in the final 3 minutes you didn't work hard enough.

As you say it is a long interval and pacing it is difficult - the first time I did one I blew up big time through circa 14 minutes, next time out I left way too much in the tank, the key thing is that this is meant to be a maximal effort and, in the final 2 to 3 minutes you should be trying to "go flat out" and if this shows much difference to your power in that window then you've got wrong.

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    The numbers are what they are. Take them at face value.

However redo the test every 3 or 4 weeks and use those figures to calculate training intensities. Expect some pretty rapid improvements as there is a certain amount of 'learning' how to do the tests. Mine went from 219 to 243 over 3 months.

i'll do the text in a few weeks time and this time, know how hard and when to push. thanks for everyones comments

• As Harry D says;

Your FTP is a baseline for you to train to in future Sufferfest/TrainerRoad sessions. The next time you undertake the test, if your FTP changes you will have the option of amending it if you wish.