Home Training for a Triathlon

Getting season back on track

Hey guys 

I am hoping you can help me in my early season panic. I am due to compete in my first 70.3 in June (Staffordshire). I am currently in Base training, and things were going well up until New years Eve - I was getting in regular 1 hour runs and 90 minute turbo at low intensity and I felt great. 

Unfortunately for the last 2 weeks I have had a cold and thought it was best to rest up to avoid prolonging it. Once my cold disappeared I developed sinusitis and again thought best to rest up until I fought the infection. I am now panicking that I have lost momentum and the whole season will be ruined (melodramatic I know) 

Can anyone put my mind at ease and give me any advice. I still have a cough but am going to try and kick-start things today by doing a light core session. 

Thanks guys!      

Comments

• OK, dont panic! You have plenty of time.

Not melodramatic by the way, a very human and understandable response. The important thing is to ease yourself back into training and be careful of intensity and frequency. Go too soon and the best case scenario is a prolonged virus, worst is a lot worse.

You might also want to consider a couple of supplements. I'd recommend Manganese for connective tissue (tendons, ligaments) and Vit C immune system.

• YAY!!!

sorry for the excitment, but I'm doing my first 70.3 at the Ultimate Half (bit later - July) and I thought I was the only one stressing about not getting in enough training time. 

Being an Engineer, I've gone for a very nerdy approach. I've Set myself a target for each element and for bricks and then worked back to create 'milemarkers'

For Instance:

Date I can do a stand alone 10k run

Date I can do a stand alone 15k run....

Date I can do a stand alone 80k ride

Date I can do a stand alone 100k ride...

Date I can do a stand alone 1k Swim

Date I can do a stand alone 2k swim...

Date I can do a 20k ride/ 10k run Combo

Date I can do a 40k ride/ 10k /run Combo.....

you get the idea!!

• Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190

Relax, until June is loads of time... you still have around 20 weeks until June... if you have had a decent base phase (which it sounds like you have) then you should be able to do a suitable build in 12-16 weeks of training coming in to the event... that means you have 4-8 weeks to recover before you need to get too stressed out.

Just build back up gently, jump on the turbo and see how it goes and how you feel afterwards. If you are feeling ok after a session then don't worry too much if you have a bit of the snuffles... just focus on recover.

• gavinpgavinp Posts: 168

A couple of weeks off won't knock you back that much.  Remember that when you start back that you need to start with a little less than where you were to ease yourself in.  Avoid injury by not thinking that you can start full on straight away.

Have fun!