Home Chat General Chat

Bike advice please

I'm looking at buying a road bike for my husbands birthday but I don't know where to start. He's done a number of triathlons (on borrowed bikes) and is now doing a Half Ironman in June and plans to do a full Ironman within 12 months so looking for something that will last for training and racing.

My budget is around 400GBP so really only able to get an entry level road bike - I have found the following bikes and would love any feedback/recommendations you can give:-

Trek 1000C 400GBP

Claude Butler 2006 Roubaix 360GBP

Giant OCR 2 400GBP

Thanks very much!![:D]

Comments

• RobRob Posts: 209
    Hi, you might be able to find a Specialized Allez on a special deal for £400 (would be an '05 model). You could have a look at Carrera or Saracen. www.evanscycles.com stock Carrera. The Trek would be a good buy for £400.

Cheers, Rob
  • fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    you should be able to find something, try evanscycles or wiggle for last years models which are sold off cheap, they are just last seasons colours!!.

otherwise buy 220 mag and look at the sale section, or even ebay.. but be careful and if you're looking at used take someone who knows bikes with you.

which half is he doing? i'm doing weymouth i think and might do the one at wimbleball.

good luck

fat matt
    oh i forgot to say, those bikes are all ok, in the future hubby can upgrade the wheels if he feels the need which will make the most difference

fat matt
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    I would advise against buying on ebay unless you're looking for something very specific and high end... you'll get better deals at online shops. The important thing is to get the frame right. Like fatmatt says you can upgrade components later on...

Is it a surprise or does your hubby know about it? Either way make sure you get the right size frame... some companies do 54/57/59 cm frames and others do 55/58/60 cm frames... getting the right size frame is one of the most important things for performance...

Happy shopping!
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    There are loads of 0% finance deals of varying lengths in the current issue of 220...which will help spread the cost or allow for a slightly better bike if that suited..

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    If your buying it as a suprise (makes things so much more difficult; may be worth while seeing if it can be returned if necessary and exchanged) try getting his inside leg measurement as that is a more useful guage for the salesman than working on height alone.
  • Ro1Ro1 Posts: 2
    Thanks all for advice.

fatmatt - its wimbleball on June 18

Cheers
    ok, thinking of doing that one myself, see you there... i might even spend a day down there going round the course, so if hubby wants a look let me know, apparently its a couple of laps so not necessary to do the whole course.

good luck

fatmatt
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Joi Averill wrote:

How can i get a new bike for finance?

i am doing my college studies in india. need a good bike for finance ranges within 50000. where should i search for?

A few things -

1 -

The quoted reply looks like spam. It has a link to some Bank credit site on it, yet asks about where to get finance - in poor English. Apologies in advance if this is not the case.

2 -

I bought a practically brand new 06 Allez off Ebay for less than £300 inc delivery. It even came with a cateye bike computer and Look clipless peddles. There are bargains out there - you just need to be patient and really look around.

3 - Boardman bikes are quite reasonable I hear. You get them from Halfords. I have no personal experience, but they get decent reviews. It's just that Halford customer service is not particularly well renowned!

4 - Your husband has the UK Ironman 70.3 in June and doesnt have a bike? You need to get it to him pretty damn quickly!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    @Joi Averill: that's the fourth time you have posted your thinly disguised spam punting your dodgy credit deals. Admin notified. Now sod off.

*EDIT*: Wow! I notified Admin about 2 mins ago and he's gone already! Cheers Admin!

See?? They do love us after all! [:D]
  • I've got a 61cm Specialized Allez 27. Black, yellow bar tape and yellow conti tyres. Very good condition

14 months old and I am after £400.

Covered 850 dry miles since new.

( saddle pack, lights and wireless cat eye are not for sale).

http://i34.tinypic.com/x3fdk.jpg

The offer is there.