Home Chat General Chat

Pool Tri differences

Having only ever done open water triathlon in the past, I'm doing a pool one in a couple of weeks.

Is there any pool-specific etiquette or any tips that anyone can suggest that I might not be aware of?

I'll be racing in just my tri suit - I've already figured the bit out about not turning up in my wetsuit haha

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Read the briefing notes & listen to the safety briefing before the start. Can always ask any questions then. Passing & being passed (usually to pass tap toes, toes tapped then give way at lane end) as well as lap counting (you are responsible but may get a signal with two lengths to go) are the usual things to be attentive of but each race tends to handle them slightly differently.

One big issue is entering with a significantly incorrect swim time which is used to set your start time alongside those of similar speed. You become a hazard to others sharing your lane which is why most organisers will accept revised swim times up to a week before the event but not on the day.
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Oh, and bare arms (except watches and any security tag you may be given) and bare legs (except timing chip) so no calf guards (oxymoron) or arm warmers etc
  • BoothyBoothy Posts: 6

excellent thanks!

I reckon I'm pretty bang on with my estimated time. It's slightly faster than I've managed in training, but when I've done the distance in training, I've not been pushing hard, had a breather here and there (clock still running) and also been tired from the previous training session. So swimming fresh and having the drive of race day should see me about right I think!

cheers

• KarzzehKarzzeh Posts: 1

- Make sure you practise swimming in your tri suit at least once, not quite the same as in normal trunks.

- Also have a go at getting out of the pool after doing the distance as well, see what you can and cannot do after 16-20 laps in a pool

- Do not run in the pool after getting out of the water, the few extra seconds are not worth breaking your neck, or perhaps worse, injuring a volunteer or fellow competitor because you slip at speed.