Home Chat General Chat

Talkback: Kona: pro Caroline Livesey on qualifying & inequality

Surely the reason why the split is the fact there is at least 3 times more Male Pro triathletes?

Comments

• Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    Let me prefix this by saying that I agree it should be equal slots Men to Women. Personally I'd cut the Men to 35 since I don't think the last 15 add to "The show"

However, there are many pro women out there who qualify to go to Kona as a rookie each year. So presumably it is possible to race often and get enough KPR. Whilst at the other end of the results. Ryf has raced A LOT in the last 12-18 months. As has Steffan or Swallow.

Sounds a lot to me like your writer thinks that it's somehow not fair that she can't go to Kona. It's hard, but its a meritocracy. And I say that as a 1 time IM finisher with no designs on even going to Hawaii.

Whose to say that even if there were 50 spaces. Would your writer get a place?
  • Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190

Monster - "pro" is an interesting word, the number of men with a pro card is, as you say, roughly 3x the size (and that is Messicks argument) however, when you stop drinking the M-dot cool-aid and look at the facts, the number of "pros" that actual won prize money last year is almost identical for men and women.

That means that 2/3rds of male "professionals" are not really professional, in the sense that a professional is someone who makes money out of their vocation.