Home Chat General Chat

Talkback: Dehydration and sodium: why replacing salt is crucial

In the interest of balance recommend reading Prof Tim Noakes excellent study on hydration and sodium deficiency (Waterlogged) in which he explains the dangers of overhydration and the importance of sodium levels in endurance athletes. Its quite detailed but easy to read. In it Professor Noakes questions some of the studies and their scientific validity. There's so much information and opinion in our sport its hard to know who's right!

Comments

• In the interest of balance recommend reading Prof Tim Noakes excellent study on hydration and sodium deficiency (Waterlogged) in which he explains the dangers of overhydration and the importance of sodium levels in endurance athletes. Its quite detailed but easy to read. In it Professor Noakes questions some of the studies and their scientific validity. There's so much information and opinion in our sport its hard to know who's right!
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Well said Jon. Ross tucker & Jonathan Dugas in their book The Runners Body take apart the pseudo science that is the basis for the 'hydration market'. They also look at the causes of cramping, again reviewing the bad science that is used to make money. I thought the article/advert was so full of flaws it was embarrassing.

Consider 2 things:

1. We mammals (not MAMILs) have evolved over hundreds of millions of years and until only very recently (zero evolutionary time) have had to be active for our very survival. However, we are now told that we can only now perform to our best if we pay someone to do something that our body is perfectly well designed to do itself. I don't think so.

2. Sub 2:05 marathon runners typically lose 5-7% body weight during the race. According to 'hydration science/market' they should have lost 30% aerobic capacity. Really? Also 'hydration science/market' would tell them to drink an extra 3 to 4 litres of water/electrolyte during their 2:05 hour race to maintain performance. Again I don't think so.