Home Chat General Chat

newbie-ish

Hi,

I am into my second year or triathlons with a few Oly's and a 70.30 under my belt. This summer I have the same format and I am really looking forward to it.

Thing is - gear - I think I want / deserve / need some more and am hoping you can help out.

I currently have a 7 year old cube peloton and an orca s5 and both have served me well. I am wondering whether to simply upgrade the cube somehow or go for a new bike.I am torn between a road bike and a tri bike. 

For background I am about 90kg now and hit 5.45 in my 70.3 last year. The bike has always been my weakest and I can do with all the help I can get.

Any other advice appreciated Thanks!

Comments

• Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190

There are a lot of variables... clearly budget is one of them.

If you don't have them, then some clip on aerobars might be a cheap upgrade rather than forking out a £1500 plus on a TT bike. It sounds like you are still finding your feet in the sport so you may not want to commit to a new bike (and with it a preference for draft or non-draft racing) until you have another year under your belt to consider what you like.

What do you run shoes or helmet wise? Some clip in pedals and a more aero lid might be cheap gains to your bike performance and would continue to benefit you if in the next say 12-18 months you chose to take the plunge on a new bike.

I would say hold off on the wetsuit. Your body shape is likely to change quite a bit still as your journey continues (and thoughts move away from just completing into performance) and you might find that a suit which fits you perfectly now is baggy in all the wrong places in 6-12 months.