Home Chat Race Chat

Staffordshire 70.3 vs Outlaw Half - who wins?

TJ2TJ2 Posts: 4
Hi all   I'm planning on doing my first ever 70.3/middle distance triathlon (call it what you wish) in summer 2017 and was after some head-to-head opinions on the Ironman 70.3 in Staffordshire vs Outlaw Half in Nottingham.   Like the 2016 versions, I expect next summer's events will take place just a couple of weeks apart so doing them both isn't really an option.   I'm also open to other suggestions, preferably in the West or East Midlands.   All thoughts welcome   Thanks

Comments

• gb901gb901 Posts: 148

Outlaw hands down - apart from anything else the outlaw guys are far more customer centric, whereas IM just want your money! Theres a reason why outlaw events are voted some of the most popular year on year!

• I find it a bit extreme to say that Ironman are just after your money.... having just done Staffs (and having not done Outlaw but have spectated) at no point did I feel that anyone was after my money. The whole process was a joy, the course was spectacular, the support was stunning. Registration was a bit of a faff but otherwise it was brilliant - I was kept thoroughly up to date, options to train on the course, training plans, course guides etc.... Absolutely could not fault it and would recommend it without hesitation!

Mr triitagain obviously has money to burn and doesnt feel aggrieved at the outdated termd employed by IM: nobody enters and forks out that sort of money expecting to get injured and not be able to do it! Perhaps youll understand when it happens to you?

• As I said on your other ranty thread, it states it clearly in the T's and C's when you register and pay. So it's a bit rich to criticise it afterwards.

As I also mentioned (apologies to the OP for this going a bit off topic, but I feel it's slightly relevant..) you can transfer your entry to another race:

Transfer/Withdrawal - Ironman

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Having done Leeds which was organised by Ironman I will be avoiding their races in future. Certainly felt like a cost-cutting, money grabbing exercise to me Competitors came last in the list of priorities.

Plenty of other races besides the two you mentioned such as A Day In the Lakes, Steelman ....
  • How much involvement do you think Ironman managed to push over the ITU in the months since they purchased them?! Yes it was poorly executed but it was a first time event....

Agreed on their being plenty of others, I think generally the appeal of the larger events is the closed roads - it was for me!

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    I've attended many excellent 'first time' events by 'first time' organisers. Ironman are not first time organisers though. The problems were down to the organisers not ITU. The problems were foreseeable and could easily have been resolved in hours and days not months. It needed descent management with a focus on the competitors needs and more of that ??80+ per head spending on things like T2 carpet, signage etc. Mind you many of the problems could have been sorted at zero or reduced spend by thinking of competitor needs (unnecessary bag transfers, garbage information on the website, misdirection of competitors by officials leading to many DQ's etc)

At Leeds Ironman let down British Triathlon, the City & people of Leeds as well as the racers and their supporters. A golden opportunity missed.

There will be an event next year and as a local I hope it will be much better than this years. Sadly I don't foresee that many returnees.

Yes I advocate avoiding Ironman organised events like the plague!

• Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190
    Outlaw may be well organised but the bike course is, imho, unacceptable and in places makes the pave of Paris-Roubaix look like smooth asphalt,at one point you are literally riding down a gravel track. If I had known the road quality/ complete lack thereof I would not have spent my money on it!
  • Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190
    Outlaw may be well organised but the bike course is, imho, unacceptable and in places makes the pave of Paris-Roubaix look like smooth asphalt,at one point you are literally riding down a gravel track. If I had known the road quality/ complete lack thereof I would not have spent my money on it!

Ditto I can't get excited about M-Dot races. Have you looked perhaps at Castle series and if they have one near you?