Home Chat General Chat

Evening Tri

LuckyLucky Posts: 137
Morning All,

I've got my first tri in just over 2 weeks and it's in the evening, anyone got any suggestions for fueling during the day, I don't want to eat too much and be / feel sick and I don't want to find I run out of "go" half way round on my first event....

Regards

Comments

• ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Hi Lucky,

You never said whether it was a sprint olympic or half. Also you could be practising taking on fluids gels in practice in any case. Usually after 1 hr you may need some form of nutrition up to every 20 mins be it water, isotonics, gels etc.

• Hi Dave

Gyro 10k you don't see many people doing that, i'm also new to tri and my sister is a gyrolite and so has roped me in.

Good luck and see you at Gyro

Ruth
  • LuckyLucky Posts: 137
    ardkeen wrote:

Hi Lucky,

You never said whether it was a sprint olympic or half. Also you could be practising taking on fluids gels in practice in any case. Usually after 1 hr you may need some form of nutrition up to every 20 mins be it water, isotonics, gels etc.

A fair point on the distances, all my tri's this year are sprints (I've updated my sig to reflect this) so I guess probably just a case of sipping water as I go around the bike / run course, more concerned about having the wrong food at lunch time, or having it at the wrong time...
  • rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    A good general rule is not to eat anything solid or heavy 2 hours before the event (sometimes I have an energy bar about 1 hour before the race and it doesn't seem to slow me down). Allow your body to absorb what it has inside and not still be working on breaking it down when you start your race. For those 2 hours before the race, keep drinking fluids (not too heavily, don't need a full bladder at the start of the race either, but you also don't want to start out thirsty), maybe sip small amounts of some sports drink about 30 minutes before the race, if you are used to consuming them.

During the race, water should be your priority on the bike and run sections, but you may find that a gel or sports drink towards the end of the bike ride gives you the boost you need for the run (again, if you are used to consuming them).

Also, for your lunch before the race, if it is several hours before the race, you could eat a carb-heavy meal, but still keep it well-balanced. If your stomach is a little jumpy (mine still is after a few years of racing and training) then don't eat stuff that might upset your stomach (my problem is with nuts, seeds, wholegrains, spicy food, etc) or have you running to the bathroom more than usual.