Home Chat General Chat

Ladies Road Bike

So, I need a road bike (for around £500) & after much research it has come down to two bikes... Trek 1000 WSD & Specialized Dolce. I realise I need a good bike shop to make sure I get the correct frame size, I'm 5ft 8"....most advice has been 54cm

I'd appreciate any comments or advice on either bikes....

Many thanks

Comments

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    New to all of this, but one thing that is worthwhile is finding a shop which will let you take the bikes outside to try, or at least set up a turbo trainer (outside is better as you can compare responsiveness better).
  • Thanks BonusB...this is a great idea, the only problem is that here in the Midlands we don't have many bike shops that stock ladies bikes. Many don't have both Trek & Specialized, don't have all frame sizes, so trying them before hand isn't as easy as the men's bikes. I have found a few good shop's via the Internet but they are all in Yorkshire, I don't mind travelling!
  • There are quite a few company's making women specific bikes. Just because you are a women doesn't mean you have to buy a WSB. The main differences in a male bike and womens bike are

1) The width of the handlebar on womens bike is shorter than males, as women are generally not as broad.

2) The distance of the brake lever is closer to the drops, as womens fingers are generally shorter.

3) The distance from the seat to the handlebar is shorter, as womens midrith generally shorter.

4) The frame may also be sloped.

If you notice I have put generally when talking about sizes, because you may not need a womens bike as you may fit nicely on a blokes. However if it's for the fifth reason

5) They come in nice colours!

Then it's down to personal preference.

I recommend testing them out as a must! [8D]
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI hellsbells - you could also consider a few tri specific bikes esp as they designed to be smaller than road bikes (depends on your style and referrence of riding tho i guess) ... & they come in all sorts of pretty colours [:)]

madnurse
  • You guy's really must stop sterio typing...lol!! The colour of the bike is the last thing that bothers me....I just want to get a bike that is comfortable to ride.....therefore a bike designed for a woman seems a good idea. I guess you guy's wouldn't mind buying a woman's bike if it's not that much different and was loads cheaper?
  • For me, personally, it's all about the colour!![:D]
  • LOL!![:D]
    colour is everything girl .. it has to compliment your trisuit not to mention shoes & carb gels (ooh sunburst mandarin for me everytime) ... if it clashes it crashes !!!!!!!!

madnurse (phil)

christ did i really just write that ??? [:D][:D][:D]
  • As a novice in all this stuff I have obviously got it all wrong...my tri suit is black & green which limits the bike choice even more! The Trek is a blue colour and the Specialized is silver. Silver would go with more, so now I'm leaning more towards the Dolce bike!!

I have soooo much to learn!!

Thanks guys!!
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Maybe its why (nearly) all wetsuits are black so the go with any colour hat..

Seriously though some where at the top of this thread was mentioned test driving each bike which will confirm comfort etc..though you are taller than me so a male bike maybe okay.

and yes i'd get a women specific bike if it was lighter and made me faster (power-to-weight ratio or some such cr0p)

• I'm sticking to Duathlons until a bright pink wet suit is easily available!

Seriously though...last year I used a mountain bike for my races and found it so damn heavy I decided now I'm hooked on this sport I should get myself a proper bike! I'm pretty much a novice but I know that Trek & Specialized are good makes. Some friends (not into the sport) told me to go on eBay and buy a bike...but it's not as simple as it sounds, frame size etc....seems silly to pay £150 - £250 for a bike that you're not sure is going to be right for you.

Anyway...starting to ramble now!

Just wondered if any ladies out there have the Trek 1000 WSD or Specialized Dolce and were happy with them?
    try a slice of this then ... http://www.trekwsd.co.uk/ maybe it will help the other option might be http://www.shecycles.com/default.asp?sp=&v=1

not that I look up stuff on girly websites

madnurse
  • fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    hi hells,

have you thought about trying the bike in the shop, taking their advice on sizes etc.. then maybe trying to find one cheaper mail order or from one of the bigger chains, i know a few places in the midlands, more towards warwickshire though if that suits?. evans cycles also sell off last years models and one of my friends got a great deal on a wsd trek 1400. so maybe try them or www.wiggle.co.uk, good luck

fatmatt
  • madnurse...many thanks for the very useful links!

fatmatt...yep, hoping to try a bike at a shop then have a good snout round the web for some deals. There's one very good site that offers 24 months 0% finance on the Trek too....that would help too!
    good idea, if you get stuck one of the blokes from my bike club deals in bikes, it's where i got mine from, used twice i think and unmarked, so let me know if you are stuck and i'll see what he has. not far from coventry.

fatmatt
  • Thanks...will defo remember that!
    ok, it's worth a look, he has alll sorts, i bought a winter trainer for £100 and a race bike for £ er don't like to say... but he has everything.

fatty
  • Fatmatt...thanks very much, if you don't mind asking him if he has anything suitable that would be great. I can't afford mega bucks in cash, (hence the 0% deals that you can get!) but if you could enquire for me I'd be grateful...but please don't go to too much trouble...

Thanks!
    hells, how tall are you ? and what size has been recommended for you? i can ask this weekend for you if you like

fatty
    ok i just read the message, 5.8. and 54cm i'll ask
  • I'm 5ft 8"...and although I haven't been 'fitted' for a bike I have spoken to a couple of bike shops over the phone and they have said probably a 54cm (ladies medium) frame. I have read a few places that you take your inside leg measurement and multiply it by 0.67 to get your ideal frame size...doing this means I'd need a 56cm frame...??

I'd appreciate you asking, I think you probably have an idea of the type of bike I'm after. Lightweight, comfy to ride, in good condition...etc (NOT in a bright pink colour!!)

Many thanks

Hells
    [image]http://i5.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/e6/4a/29_1_b.JPG[/image]

my mtb .. might not be a trek 1000 but at least its pink !!!!
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Bit late on this thread but speaking from personal experience don't buy a bike on ebay... it may have worked for some people but I've spent as much on a bike and the upgrades that I could have got a new bike with decent componentry.... and the bike still isn't what I want it to be... it'll end up as a good training bike over next winter but thats it!

Lots of good advice... the 0% deals are really good just now all over the place!

Let us know how you get on!
  • Madnurse....the bike would have been perfect, but the colour just put's me off...soz!!
  • Jazdog...yep, great advice. It takes a bit of time but once you know what you want it's worth having a good look on the Net.

You get what you pay for!
    HI hells .. dunno if this worth a look (but you'll have to be quick)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Guess-RB1-RoadBike-New-Size-54cms-Medium-height-rider_W0QQitemZ7234841367QQcategoryZ72573QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

54cm guess road bike looks nice (not in pink tho) but finishes 09:50 hrs this morning

madnurse
  • Madnurse...just like my swimming I wasn't quick enough! Thanx for letting me know though!

Hells
    oh well ... pity it even managed to go with your tri - suit .. damn those early morning ebay things !!!!

however i am now getting an itch to upgrade my mtb to something more tri specific - my credit card is not impressed at the thought [:D]

off for a run ... bye for now

madnurse
    hi hells .. bizzare but that guess bike on ebay has been relisted - or the shop has a job lot of them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Guess-RB1-RoadBike-New-Size-54cms-Medium-height-rider_W0QQitemZ7236505928QQcategoryZ72573QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

madnurse

(if you notice anything that might help my swim let me know)
    hi hells,

i've just spoken to the bike man and he's having a look what he's got, he say's he has a few 54 cm frames and should be able to put something together for you. he says for £3-400 it would probably be something with maybe carbon rear stays and 8 speed dura ace components, maybe 9 speed if he has any,

it is all genuine stuff, he is sort of a contact between a few bike and tri clubs in the area, all the riders use him to swap and change kit. he has all sorts, carbon titanium etc, up tp £5000 + bikes, so it's all good stuff.

the best thing to do is if i describe what he can offer in your size, you get some advice and if you want to look then we can arrange that, no obligation at all.

i'm speaking to him tonight and will let you know later.

fatty