Home Training for a Triathlon

Ironman & Meniscus Injury

Hi Guys

Been laid up with knee troubles for six months. They're both healing and I didn't have surgery. Suspected meniscus tears/acl etc. Confused about having meniscus' removed - would they regrow? Are they irreplaceable? Have left them even though told by surgeon it's like keeping old tyres - so why just take them out? 

In my late 40s. Do people just leave it, or do they find a way? Obviously I need to build things up over time and do a triathlon plan. Currently doing strength training to rebuild my withered quads. 

My question is: What's the common practice please: do I just give up my Ironman dream? Do people just leave it, or do they find a way? 

Thank you

IJ

Comments

• Hi IJ,

I had a meniscus and ACL repair in 2012 and although I still have the odd problems with my knee mainly from football (so I have binned my boots know) any way i'm currently training for challenge Salou and IM Hamburg, its' just about learning to manage the injury and swim run bike don't seem to aggravate the knee.

• Nice one RH. You had surgery then, and they repaired rather than removed.

Yes I think you're right, I'm watching them (knees) while I strength train. The right, out of nowhere, flared up this week after gentle gym visits. But with triggering, ice and prehabilitation I'm feeling more determined.

Combined cv should help and my focus will be trail running. ????
  • Hi buddy ive had 8 ops on my right knee including a full ACL reconstruction, ive been doing Triathlon's now for 7 years and have completed all distances including IM. next one is Sweden in Aug. Im with RH - football related so that's no more. Suggest you do what you feel is right, the Op today is different to what I had 10 years ago so should be less intrusive. recovery is long (9 months) but maybe worth it if you still want to follow the dream?

• Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190

I had ACL and meniscus tear. Spent 10 years managing it with flare ups, got the op and have been all singing and all dancing, including marathons and 70.3s since.

The problem with leaving torn meniscus in is that it wont grow back but what you leave is a flappy edge that can be torn further.  Think of it like a rubber ring or a piece of plastic wrap (or even tape).  When its perfect its tricky to tear it but once you have a weakness and a torn edge you can rip a chunk off really easily.  This means that by not having a small chunk removed now, you may need to have a huge chunk removed later.  If the meniscectomy is less than 30% it is likely to have limited impact on your knees but if you wait, do further damage and end up having to take out 50, 60 or 70% you can kiss running painfree goodbye forever and dramatically increase your chances of needing a knee replacement.

Without hesitation I would get the surgery and it is a colossal regret of mine that I didn't get it when I first suffered the injury!