Home Chat General Chat

Average HR

Hi guys and girls

I have just started running. I have been road cycling for 3 years and average a HR OF 158-168BPM over any distance and pace. I ran this morning for only the 3rd time. I ran 1 mile at 8.47 but my HR averaged 171Bpm ???? 

I am 29, 75Kgs and relatively fit and eat ok. Is this a normal HR? I consider myself to have a high HR anyway

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Thomas,

Nothing to worry about. Your max HR for running will be 8-10bpm higher than for cycling in any case. Your HR, as you say, is uniquely yours but the differences between cycling and running taking into account your training history are as would be expected

If you've just started running you will be very inefficient at first as your body learns how to use its muscles to develop more efficient running movement patterns. Over the next few weeks expect to see either a lower HR for the same run pace or to run faster for the same HR. You probably went through the same when you started cycling. Me, I'd go for the faster pace unless it causes discomfort.

Inefficient movement patterns require harder muscle work for a given run speed. This work demands more oxygen from the blood and gives back more CO2 in exchange. This lowers the pH of the blood which then triggers a higher HR and deeper breathing
  • Thanks Harry thats really helpful. I did sispect this could be the case
  • For most people it is true that their run HR is 10bpm higher than cycling, however, it is not always true; my background is similar to yours as a good cyclist, and initially my run was poor and had a much higher heart rate, however, as I have developed my muscles better for running, I find that my run and cycle HR is pretty much identical, in fact, I can probably sustain a higher HR while cycling.

It sounds like you have pretty good base fitness, put some time into running and you will find that you get much faster and your HR will come down

Just a word of caution, because you are pretty fit, your run will get faster before your body can adapt to the stress of running, as a result you could suffer knee, ankle, foot,thigh injuries, to avoid this, make sure you ramp your runs gradually