Home Chat General Chat

Where to stay for Lanzarote IM

I have recently entered Lanzarote IM 2008 and are wondering where is the best place to stay. I know that club La Santa run the event but with a young family, would i be better staying in P.D.Carmen where the race starts and finishes than at the top of the Island at La Santa.

I intend to make it part of the families yearly holiday staying out there for a couple of weeks (one either side).

Comments

• Rich_CRich_C Posts: 152
    Hi,

Ive just come Back from the lanzarote, sadly i had to pull out after 165KM on the bike section with a knee injury, I will be back there in 2008 !! but thats not whats the threads about.LOL

I would highly recommend you stay in Del Carman, right where the action is. La Santa is a nice place but its expensive! and its a 20 quid taxi ride (or very long bus trip) to P.D.Carmen and if you have a young family thats probably not going to be much fun for all.

The only trip you will need to make to la santa is for the registration to collect your freebies and kit bags.

Very nice place P.D.Carman and the prices for food and drink are about the same as the UK. The airports only 15 minutes away via car too.

Great event and great atmosphere but I found the Drink stations VERY POOR!. Zero powergels on the bike course, only half powerbars at a few stations along with half banarna,s at others. Worth while carrying all your own food/gels IMO.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, R[:)]
  • Thanks Rich. I thought that would be the case.

Thats interesting about the aid/food stations, not as great as they make out on their website!!!

How did you find the sea swim and did you do much sea training prior to the event?
    Hi,

I did none at all untill I got there, but that was a good 9 days before the race so I swam the course 3 times during that time.

First time I swam the 1.2 mile lap I found it hard as the sea was very rough!

On the day I had a steady swim and came in at 1.28.

There is a current that switches direction day to day I found, but its not too bad.

I loved the event and will be there in 2008 all being well. But I will have everything I need with me on the bike [;)]

Im sure you will have a great race[:)]

• Sorry that your race didn't go well. Must have been soul destroying to have put so much training time and not to forget money and have to pull out through injury.

Doing Windsor Sunday, then two more Olympic's at Milton Keynes and London before tackling the Vitruvian Man in Sept. Slowly building up the distances for next May!!

Colin
    The lanzarote was my first Triathlon and Im pleased I chose it![:)]

• smudgersmudger Posts: 48

are you thinking of doing any 70.3 events before lanzarote im.

[/align][:)]
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Hi Rich,

I am thinking of Lanzarote next year and was wondering how did you cope with the heat. It will be my first IM i've done half IM twice in Ireland where heat is n't a problem obviously. What kind of training did you put in on a weekly basis? Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Patrick

hi ardkeen thinking about lanzarote myself [:(]

[/align]
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Hi Smudger,

have youdone any previous IM ?

no ardkeen im hoping to do a 70.3 later this year,and then the ironman next year,my training at the moment is fairly intense,60 mile bike sunday, 100 lengths monday,can't run at the moment pulled my hamstring playing cricket.

[/align]
    ardkeen wrote:

Hi Rich,

I am thinking of Lanzarote next year and was wondering how did you cope with the heat. It will be my first IM i've done half IM twice in Ireland where heat is n't a problem obviously. What kind of training did you put in on a weekly basis? Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Patrick

Hi,

The heat was not such a problem as long as you take in around 1 litre of fluids and hour.

The wind!! that was the killer for me and forced me to push harder on my weak knee than I had trained for. Everywhere you turn its ****ing windy! LOL[:D]

The Climbs are hard but its more the long steady climbs in to the wind that take the toll.

I could not swim at all when i entered and thus spent around 10 to 14 hours a week swimming. I had done a marathon before so running was kept to 13.1,s a couple of times a week. The Bike was the weak spot and I only did around 100 miles a week if im honest. Not enough.

I would recommend anyone who fancies the event to enter it!

Its a real great day and if your a good cyclist then it may not be has hard as you expect. [;)]

Thanks for asking,

regards, Rich