Home Training for a Triathlon

Hello all. Good to be here. Just starting my triathlon journey. I am looking at my first race next year in May, so a long way off. As I am starting from scratch and have a long time to go how should I structure my training? Should I be thinking now where I want to be in October, February etc. I notice these things called base phase and build phase, should I be taking notice of that?? BTW I am 49 with a basic level of fitness

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Which triathlon are you thinking of doing?

With a basic level of fitness you should be able to complete a sprint with six to eight weeks of training. So why wait until next year? get yourself moving

If its an an Ironman then get hold of Joe Friel's Going Long and stick to that.

There are training plans on this website for various distances and fitness states. Click on training then Training plans and have a look
  • Thanks Harry. I am looking at Olympic Distance. I want to get into decent shape before my first race. I am starting my swimming from scratch. Been for two swims so far, in the sea and I have a long way to go. There is a local sprint tri in Sept that I am thinking about doing.

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Stop thinking about it and do the sprint in September. You'll not regret it and learn so much that you can put towards next years Olympic distance race.
  • Doing the Sprint in sept 23rd in Walton. First one for me,quite nervous, but got to start somewhere right..... oh also its free https://intotri.com/event/walton-tri-jun/. I have a second hand hybrid bike and determination!!

Normally a 1/2 marathon guy