Home Chat General Chat

Talkback: Outrage greets IMUK's decision to shorten bike leg by 17 miles

Those who are feeling short changed etc etc need to spend a day or two in the fireman’s boots to see the devastation caused by the fires. I am no supporter of Ironman the brand they are money grabbing and don’t really care for the competitors however, in this instance you only needed to look at the news for the last three weeks to know this was likely to happen. It will still be a competitive bike even without the sheep house hill climb, can you call yourself an Ironman after completeing this event YES you bloody well can. Should you be allowed to defer YES you bloody well should! They have changed the course necessarily but should still allow people to defer because of it, but as some says they have your money and your blood why not take it all.

Comments

• I went to watch Ironman Stafford 70.3,absolutely chaotic and the organisers didn't care. Having done 70.3 and Full distances not Ironman branded this announcement strengthens my belief to never even consider one of their events. They should be brave and offer full refunds and deferment or tarnish their branding forever.
  • Similarly. I'm no Mdot fan, and choose to do non Mdot events.

But people get a grip .if anyone has been within 20 miles of Winter Hill on the past 2 weeks you can see a huge plume of smoke and smell it. I for one would not wish to ride through it. It was bad enough in a car.

There really is no other option. I'm surprised they've managed to get 95 miles in. People will realise it is still hard when they climb up onto Anglesark on an overgeared TT bike.

Blue green algae. Again a natural risk. Plenty of other events impacted before now for it.

Mdot entrants already have more money than sense. Should have supported independents like the Outlaw or Lakesman, for 200 quid less.
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    With a little thought most outrage will pass into acceptance. The organisers have to put safety first because all to often many competitors don't. Want examples: Consider the Windsor Tri horse rider episode - does anyone really think that passing close or on the left was ever a good idea: Ripon Tri a couple of years ago I saw a guy cycling no handed in a group putting his number belt on as he wandered all over the road or stand at the mount/dismount line of any event and see how many do them both safely - yet 20min of training will sort it out.

Enjoy the race, its still going ahead. Can always push it a bit more on the bike
  • PaulNPaulN Posts: 2

If its not full distance its not an IM. Still possible the swim is cancelled too. I tried to get a deferral to next year but was told I was outside of the 45 day period - how the hell could I have predicted this! Section 9 of online waiver states IM can amend or cancel event WITHOUT COMPENSATION! Looking at Consumer Rights Act 2015 contract 'fairness test'. Won't go anywhere near IM in the future. No sporting ethos about them just a big ugly business. Look elsewhere and support grass routes event from now on.

• You have a good point there as to how it would stand up to a 'fairness test' , if the swim had been binned too (which luckily it wasn't in the end).

However I'd suspect maybe the 'force majoure' aspect of a moorland fire 2.5 weeks out, and the dffiecut-to-predict blue-green algae, would take precedence.

Sure you'd not win it in a court with only the 17 mile cut off the bike leg.

But you're right that WTF put profit front middle and centre.
  • PaulNPaulN Posts: 2
    Putting AWS aside, it was an incredible experience made so special by the supporters, volunteers and fellow athletes. Thanks so much to all of them for creating a life long memory
  • MetalheadMetalhead Posts: 3

Pity about the disrespect for fellow triathletes on here. More money than sense? I wish. I have no love for the Ironman brand but I ride these roads week in, week out and Bolton is a must-do race around here. It made no sense to do my first ironman anywhere else to me. It was an extremely challenging day and i loved every minute. Have an opinion- fine. But there is no need to be so rude about people who just want to complete an iconic, local race with no interest in triathlon politics.

• "You are nearly an Ironman". Kerrrr-ching.

o o

Il

• 65%+ more cost, for 13% less race, Than an independently produced long distance race.

That's basica??ly double.

I stand by it qualifiying as more money than...

Maybe however WTC can develop a special commemorative N-dot tattoo ? You know - Like an M-dot, but with a part of it missing.

Oh... and I've ridden half the roads on the course since i was a kid, and walk over the adjacent hills regularly too when some f????=$/?????n eejits who need tieing to the mast at Winter Hill haven't set it alight.