Home Training for a Triathlon

Age group selection - which distance

At the age of 43 I have decided to try and represent my country! Triathlon is to be the vehicle. The question I have is which distance gives me the best chance of selection? 

The bike is my strongest leg and the swim my weakest, although I'm getting better. This is a long term project so I have time! I always seem to perform best at either the sprint or 70.3 Ironman! Strange I know. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Which distance offers the best chance of selection? Any thoughts? Tim 

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Have a look at the BTF Age Group qualifying lists and see who has qualified and how their results compare with yours
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280

Are you a mountain biker? If so Cross Triathlon or Cross Duathlon is your best chance of qualifying for Team GB. there are no qualifying races as such but selection is from previous races you have competed in the previous 12 months.

Middle distance is the next choice has again  there are no qualifying races but you still have to meet selection criteria from any previous race in the preceding 12 months.

For World Championship events  your selection finishing time has to be within 115% of the Age Group winner.

For European Championship events your selection finishing time has to be within 120% of the Age group winner

More info here  https://www.britishtriathlon.org/age-group