Home Chat General Chat

bloated stomach after swimming

Ive read somewhere that getting bloated after a swim is something to do with breathing technique.

I breath bi-laterally and would say I trickle breathe. Having just swam 2.6k my stomach feels like its fit to burst. I dont eat to close to swimming and sip water throughout a swim (along with taking onboard a minimal amount of chlorinated water[:'(]).

This problem doesnt happen every time but it is becoming a nuisance. Any suggestions folks?

Comments

• [:)]yes that happens to me aswell i mean my belly is big enough without this ... some times i cant even do my jeans up after a swim... it clears up after an hour [:)]but then you wouldnt want to be to close to me then[:D]... it dont happen in open water.. so is it the chemicals in the pool...?
  • I wondered about chemicals, but thought maybe it was to do with breathing as I dont get it on an openwater swim either, the only real differences are turns and chemicals...hmmm[8|]
  • pigletpiglet Posts: 86
    Out of interest houndog- do you swim the same distance open water sessions as in pool? It may be a function of the time spent swimming. I get bloated too and often burp when I swim- I think it's cos I swallow air when I breathe- I use a nose clip to keep out the chlorine so poss my breathing technique isn't as good as it could be. My guess is we are all swallowing air- nothing a good belch or errmm........[;)] can't fix

• Hi piglet, I swim approxximately the same distances (between 2-3k) on either. I dont use nose clips and think you're right about swallowing air. Ive been trying to avoid taking a last gulp before a tumble turn (which theres no need for when OW) but still get bloated.

Just gets a bit frustrating and very uncomfortable if you cant burp or ahem...you know[X(] and feel like running or cycling after your swim.

I also dont know why it doesnt happen all the time I pool swim as my diet stays relatively the same beforehand.

On that note Im off for a swim before they close the pool for two weeks!!! over Christmas[>:]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I can only think of three things going on here:

1) Swallowing air - two obvious remedies for this, of course, as discussed by many. Actually three, if you count 'stop swallowing air'. Air-swallowing is sometimes a reaction to having a bit of water in your mouth at the end of your breath. You spit out, then swallow. Talk to your coach.

2) Swallowing water - then you'd expect the bloating to go after 30 mins or so as you process the extra water. I tend to swallow water a fair bit myself. I finally learned to stop doing this during the London Tri last year, [:'(] although open-water training in the Solent is also a deterrent.

3) Taking big breaths while lying on your front with your stomach downwards - can cause your trunk muscles to stretch as you diaphragm pushes against your guts and they kind of dangle. Bit like looking pot-bellied when breathing hard on the bike, only with less control.

1) and 2) I think can be fixed. Maybe for 3) some core stability exercises would help?

Can't think of anything else that could cause it. I'd be astonished if it was something to do with chemicals that hadn't already affected your breathing badly to start with (see another thread).

You have my sympathy, though, particularly if it is actually limiting the distance you can swim.

• Good point bopomofo It doesnt affect the distance I swim but does affect what I do after it. Although I dont seem to have this prob after every swim.
  • Could using a nose clip help prevent me swallowing so much water or air through my nose, and causing post swim bloating?