Home Training for a Triathlon

Beginner training plan 70.3

Hi all. Last year I got back on my bike to raise money for an Eating Disorder Charity. I trained pretty well (in my opinion) and completed a 100 mile Sportive raising in excess of £1500.00.

This year I want to up the ante a bit and do a Half distance triathlon. I need help formulating a training plan to help me get ready for the event I am doing in June. All the training plans I can find online are in my opinion over complex. I am looking to complete the event not to race. The gym I use has a 25 metre competition pool that opens early and late for lane swimming and plenty of very high spec indoor bikes and treadmills so I will not have any problems accessing training time. Even in winter. That said where possible my training will be done outdoors. When spring comes around I hope to integrate Open Water swimming into my training plan. Again I am fortunate to have a great site near by for this

I reckon I could probably allow between 10 to 20 hours a week training.

Please can anyone help or point me in the right direction

Kind regards DJ

Comments

• grakaygrakay Posts: 16

My advice as a Tri Coach is to join your local club. You don't need to be fast, just enthusiastic, which you clearly are by asking for advice and being prepared to dedicate over 10 hours a week to training, (which is more than average). I always point people in the direction of the 220 plan as it is very 'do-able' as it only gives 4 key sessions per week. Anything on top of the plan should be done as easy sessions, or technique based sessions, so that you can do the 4 set sessions properly.

http://www.220triathlon.com/downloads/MiddleDistanceTriathlonTrainingPlan.pdf

• Thanks for your reply graykay and sound advice. I think before getting too caught up in the "Plan" thing I should as you say join a local club and take it from there.

Best regards

DJ

• MartinH2MartinH2 Posts: 19

Hi DJ

Appreciate your comment above, but if you do want to try a plan, we have just launched some plans that are very simple and build your fitness and strength progressively over 16 weeks.

All it needs is for you to be competently able to swim 2000m (total session), ride for 1.5hrs and run for 30-45mins which I suspect is possible for you.

The plans are based on the methodology we use for our coached athletes who see a lot of success and don´t rely on doing fancy drills or the use of technology.

Each plan had every session detailed and is accompanied by a training guide that explains everything you need to know about the plan, the sessions and how to complete them.

Hope that helps; if you are interested, see: https://mastersoftri.com/coaching/training-plans/

Martin

• Hey DJ,

Congrats on the 100 miler and getting ready for a half iron. Joining a club is an awesome idea but your training will definitely be better with a proper training plan. rather than the somewhat expensive static plan suggested by Martin, I would recommend you go with something dynamic that will be tailored to you and adapt as you need it. I am using 2PEAK which i think would be perfect for you.

You put in your training goals as well as how much time you can train and some other questions about your fitness level and background and then an individual plan is created for you. As you train and upload your workouts with Garmin, Strava or whatever you use, the program and training adapt to your needs. For example, if you have an easy ride scheduled in the plan but your heart rate or power data shows that you went hard, the plan will change for the next day(s) to give you the proper recovery. This also works vise versa if you do a hard workout and feel like a rockstar the next day, it will adapt and suggest maybe some harder training. the cool thing is the more you use it, the more it learns how you recover and gives you better training. Also important is you can make certain workouts "static" for example i always run with my club on Tuesday so the plan is not going to suggest a 2 hour ride this day.

you can try it out for free at 2PEAK.com

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Get a copy of Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 triathlon for around ??12

Has plans for all triathlon distances and grades them by training experience

Most importantly there is the science behind it all and how to calculate the zones