Home Training for a Triathlon

Ironman Recovery Time

glenn.tyrneyglenn.tyrney Posts: 1
edited September 2020 in Training for a Triathlon

Good afternoon,

I spent the better part of 2020 training for the Ironman Memphis 70.3 which was planned for October 3rd. This would have been my first triathlon in two years after only completing a sprint in 2018. It was postponed until October 2nd, 2021, so I've decided to slow down my endurance training significantly and moved towards an "off-season" strength training regimen.

I'm looking for guidance because I also plan to race in either Ironman Coeur D'Alene (June 27, 2021) or Ironman Lake Placid (July 25, 2021). I would commit to a 6 or 7 month full distance training plan starting in January 2021. With that amount of training under my belt, would I leave myself enough recovery time to also enjoy the Memphis 70.3 on October 2nd? That one is important to me since I'm raising money for St. Jude's, and my daughter was previously treated there. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regarding my training background, I've never completed a long-distance triathlon, but I have a ten-year Army background and feel confident that I can get to where I need to be in ten months on the right program. I'm a shitty swimmer (working on it, but no real stats to give). My last long bike was 60 miles at 19 mph. My last long run was 10 miles at about a 10:30/mile pace.

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425

Glen, I'm sure you'll enjoy both events even if that is in hindsight

Generally you will recover your swimming quickest followed by your cycling and last your running. You may be mentally stale after the full so expect that you may not feel like training.

Your bike times seem good but your run time seems slow and and will only be slowed after 6+ hours in the saddle. It may be worth using the time up until your training programme building up your running and your running endurance. Keep it simple and only do aerobic/ conversational pace runs (Zone 2 using the 80/20 method described by Matt Fitzgerald in his books and on his website). If you can do them outside so much the better (really). Running pounds the body so a build up now allows your body to adapt ready for the programme to start.

Swimming. As long as you beat the cut off time you'll be fine. Focus on using only your best technique at all times and don't worry about speed. Speed and fitness will come as you practice good technique. When doing time trials with my swimmers I ask them to focus on applying best technique and this is when they set personal bests. Longer swims will pay dividends.

• @HarryD when you say swim with best technique; i thought triathletes only really swim in front crawl? what other technique would there be?

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425

Quite correct, most triathletes do swim front crawl as no doubt you will too.

During the swim leg there is a balance between stroke technique and maximising effort. By 'best technique' I mean favour using technique at your pace rather than getting caught up in the race and risk becoming ragged and wasting energy and effort.