Home Training for a Triathlon

Build a run base

Hello everyone,

Looking to build a good run base for next season.  Being self coached would really appreciate the advice of the community on what strategies people use and what has worked well.

Just for a bit of background, i am a newbie to the sport of triathlon concentrating on sprint distance in the senior category.  

Comments

• ElmerElmer Posts: 2

I went, very gradually over about 3 years, from not being able to run more than 10 minutes without lasting knee pain, to feeling great after 15k fast runs, and completing half marathons.  And worked on biking at the same time, which keeps cardio improving while not overtraining the running muscles.  Worked up from about 1hr of exercise per week to 4hr.

My recommendations:

1. Practice some simple standard yoga to help with strength and body symmetry

2. Use the resources below to internalize the following:

- a belief in super, super gradual progress in running

- a habit of practicing running form mindfully, recognizing problem areas early and finding solutions

- development of strong "core" muscles

- removal of unproductive tension outside the core

- understanding of what a full, developed running form looks like and how it works

- understanding that it takes time for muscles and tendons to develop to achieve that (for example, for 3-4 months calf stretches after the run were vital)

Read this:

https://www.chirunning.com/blog/category/pain-free-technique/

Better yet, get the book and read it.

And then read/watch this:

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2017/03/video-shalane-flanagan-running-form-learning-from-elites/

• Hi John,

I am the digital editor for 220 Triathlon and I was just wondering if you would like to be featured in the reader rescue section of the magazine about this? It means we ask experts for advice specifically to you. If this interests you can you please email the features editor matthew.baird@immediate.co.uk or debbie.graham@immediate.co.uk

Thanks very much and good luck,

Debs

• timkalatimkala Posts: 1

Hei John,

Check out this site definitely; you'll like those they have listed on their website. They have clearly explained every brand and every model.