Home Chat General Chat

How do you secure your bike in a shed.

Lock on the shed door.

Was thinking of putting a floor plate in a bit of concrete and securing it to that.

Anyone know of some decent & cheap locks to attach everything to the plate....

Was thinking of one of these....

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=143876

Any advice more than welcome before my lovely trek gets carried of by some rat boy....

Comments

• i find using a claymore anti personnel mine works a treat just remember that you have it set when you go for your bike or you will have a really really bad day
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    A friend of mine uses a D lock to lock his bike to the floor plate.
    The D lock has a life time warrent against theft. If its nicked and you can prove the lock was on they will pay for a new bike and lock. His proof I hear you say, Well he has a cheap £50 CCTV setup in the shed which records a 24 loop. This clerarly shows the lock the bike and all the other rubbish in his shed.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    there are a a few threads on this sort of thing on bikeradar, if you don't mind a bit of a search around. one idea that i have seen that is quite interesting is to fix a rapealarm to the inside of the door and hook the loop of the pull cord onto a nail on the outside frame. if you do it somewhere discreet then said ratboy hopefully won't notice and when you open the door it will make a fearful racket near their head.

you'd just take the alarm off it's loop before opening the door, rather than trying to deafen yourself.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    hmmmmmm. Like the idea of a guaranteed lock and cctv!! The company will have a shock - someone who actually gets paid out on their policy!!
  • I have a padlock and lock on the door, mag sensor alarm on the door frame, a motion sensor alarm inside and motion light outside. Bikes are locked together with £150 worth of Oxford motorcycle lock.
    Overkill?
    And that's just the commuting bikes.
    Race bikes live indoors with personal servants.
  • Large scary looking dog in the garden. Works a treat!
  • As part of my bike insurance I have to have gold approved security, locks, chains etc.

I used http://www.torc-anchors.com/

I bought their package deal

Shed Shackle, Protector 11mm Chain, Master Lock Excell M50D Lock x2

I lock my two bikes together to the shed shackle and the other lock on the shed door

The shed shackle is coach bolted through the shed.

all this for just over 100 quid.
  • My bike lives in the kitchen.

Its a nice kitchen, all mod cons, but come on, some things are just too important to risk.

Asking the question is the first sign that you know it should really be kept in the kitchen!
  • would your shed fit in the bedroom?
    I know what your saying.... after my missus got bike oil on her dressing gown, some bedding and then broke her toe on the turbo trainer...

It's either the bikes in the shed or me....

hmmmmmmmmmmmm i could get me a bit of bedding...
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Does anyone that keeps their bike/bikes in the house lock them up? I have all 3 of mine in my flat, over a couple of grands worth, but not locked or secured at all.
  • You could always put the missus in the shed...
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    ....and pad the shed, to avoid future toe breakages of course....
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    [toPh] wrote:
    Does anyone that keeps their bike/bikes in the house lock them up? I have all 3 of mine in my flat, over a couple of grands worth, but not locked or secured at all.
    I have my bike in the house, but not locked. If it's in a locked house it's insured so I'm not too concerned. It's out of sight at the top of the stairs and it's not easy to get down the stairs.

In a shed, I'd definately go for something concreted into the ground. You can get bike locks with alarms or just a shed alarm, plus CCTV.
  • gunforhire wrote:
    I have a padlock and lock on the door, mag sensor alarm on the door frame, a motion sensor alarm inside and motion light outside. Bikes are locked together with £150 worth of Oxford motorcycle lock.
    Overkill?
    Depends entirely on where you live! I can think of plenty of past residences in Manchester where it wouldn't be enough!!

I'd second Oxford locks, especially the Magnum bicycle D lock which has SoldSecure Gold rating and features on many insurance approved lock lists. Mine currently secures my custom MTB which is hanging in the shed with coach bolt and 2 padlocks on the door. No crime in my area to speak of so it does me.
  • agent_ti wrote:
    You could always put the missus in the shed...
    You can get in trouble for leaving traps intended to maim or kill
    comanighttrain wrote:
    [quote="agent_ti":3pg3iu7o]You could always put the missus in the shed...
    You can get in trouble for leaving traps intended to maim or kill [/quote:3pg3iu7o]

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Well if a big mean looking dog works....
    Oi
  • tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    I have a length of industrail security cable that is about 12 foot long and goes through both wheels, the frame, the petrol strimmer and the lawn mower and then passes back and through the hole cut out of the shed for the cat to get through, then the ends are pad locked together.

They would either have to have some serious cutting gear or take the lot, including the shed
  • There are several ways to secure your bike in a shed, to prevent it from being stolen or damaged. Here are a few options:

1. Use a bike lock: You can use a U-lock or a cable lock to secure your bike to a fixed object, such as a wall or a bike rack, in the shed.
    2. Anchor your bike to the floor: You can use a floor anchor or a ground anchor to secure your bike to the floor of the shed.
    3. Use a bike stand: A bike stand can keep your bike upright and stable, and can be secured to the floor of the shed to prevent it from being moved or knocked over.
    4. Use a bike cover: A bike cover can protect your bike from dust and scratches, and can also deter thieves from stealing your bike.
    5. Alarm: If your bike has a built-in alarm system or you can add a portable alarm to your bike, it can act as a deterrent and alert you if someone is trying to steal your bike.
    6. Install a CCTV: Installing CCTV cameras in the shed can deter potential thieves and also help you to identify them if they do steal your bike.

It's important to note that no method is completely foolproof and it is always best to use a combination of these methods to secure your bike in a shed. It is also important to regularly check on your bike, ensure that the lock is still secure and that the cover is not damaged or tampered with.

Onroadz-Bike rental in Bangalore