Home Chat General Chat

TriSuits: do I need one?

Just signed up for my first (novice !!) Tri at Eton and looking for advice on if a Trisuit is suitable for an openwater swim in June? Orca seems to be the name that keeps coming up - any advise from anyone?

Comments

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI AB !! .... tri suits ? like a few items in triathlon they are not essential items to completing a race. If like most you have a limited budget you can manage with fairly standard running come cycle kit to wear after the swim. However having put in months of training to sculpt your body, raise thousands for a charity and raise the profile of triathlon at grass roots level ... you light as well look damned sexy as you acheive a personal best finish time & do it in a tri suit.

a tri suit may take a little time off in transitions as it saves you changing - assuming you dont stop to blow dry your hair (apparently it has been done) - I leave touching up my lipstick until the 2nd transition. is all about looking good for the finish.

what ever you wear you will be fabulous I am sure .

madnurse (phil) [:D][:D][:D]

double check with eton - you may find a wetsuit is compulsory - they a good option look sexy & they help you swim faster - how good is that
  • fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    ab

like the mad one said, i'd be almost certain that a wetsuit is compulsory for an open water swim, one o0r two in this country are not but i'd check, triuk do season hire for £25 for the whole season, they're in yeovil somerset, and will take your measurements over the phone and post one out, look on the website www.triuk.co.uk they also sel off last years suits for £50-100 which is a bargain when you take into account the cost of postage.

secondly you really don't need a tri suit for your first race, i have only just bought one this year after starting tri in 88, when i was slim and lean, now 2 stone later, oh it looks great!!! not.

what you can do is just wear your shorts and a singlet with the number ready pinned on under the wetsuit, they're usually water proof and will be ok.

good luck

fatmatt
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    The trisuit makes it so easy though, it's a shame that they don't make something really simple in terms of shoes.

Just back from Steyning, 1st time ever in transitions and i'll telll all on a report thread

David
  • Thanks for the suggestions, think I'll wait for my race pack to come through and see what the requirement is. Read earlier that Eton is one of the coldest pools around so the wetsuit may be the best idea! Now just have to get over the achy legs and bum causd by my first week of solid training!
  • plingbootplingboot Posts: 19
    Eton is a wetsuit event - unless you're super hard or super masochistic.

99.9% of folks wear one (i'll be definitely wearing mine) - even in the height of summer.

You 'might' be allowed to swim in just a trisuit, but you'll probably regret doing so…[:'(]

If this is you're first season/race, you'll have enough to think about without hobbling yourself in the first 50 yards.

Personally, i'd suggest dropping coin on a good quality wetsuit and trisuit (doesn't have to be top of the rage), which fit in all the right places.

You can then concentrate on your performance.

If you're on a budget, interested in a second hand wetsuit, and are around 5'6" and 165lbs, i have a mens QR hydrofull (size ms short) for sale…

• Thanks Plingboot (great name!) Sadly being female and only just 5'4" don't think yours will fit [:D] but will look at hiring one until I know if this is the sport for me.
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Posts: 0
    Just wanted to say thanks for the advice and FatMatt looked at the webiste you suggested and rang them - very friendly people and very helpful. My wetsuit and goggles are on their way! Right address is triuk.com.
    Quick update, no tonly friendly and helpful but great service. Ordered my wetsuit and googles Monday - and they've just arrived!
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    with such a build up and all the input surely you will be putting a pic of you in the wetsuit on here

[:D]
    I'm not into horror movies!!!! Very scary thought!